Free Train Travel in Spain in September

• 24 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Dear Interrail community,

I read in the news that Spain plans to make their trains free in September.
As it happens, I am doing an interrail tour through Spain late August-September.

However I was not able to find out if the trains are free for foreigners as well (I am from Austria). Does anybody know?

I already booked & reserved all of my trains for my journey, however the free September would be convenient for me anyway because then I can make a few spontaneous day trips without using my pass.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No-you did not read the full info. I did this morning in the latest rail-magazine by a well knowing Reporter who happens to live in rural ESpana/Asturias. It is by far a very complicated system and ONLY for regular commuters who make the same trip on regionales or shorter distance (up to 100 KM) at least 10 returns in 1 month- Only then will you get the deposit back-and thus travel free-you will have to pay for the normal season ticket before.

Thus this will not give any chance on casual visitors, and it wil also not lead to the giant overcrowding one now sees in DE=Germany for the 9€ monthly ticket (not free, but as good as)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Read more here.

https://www.railtech.com/all/2022/08/24/spains-free-train-tickets-on-sale-as-of-today/?gdpr=deny

The deposit you loose if you don't make 16 travels during September- December is 10 or 20 EUR so that is not so much.