• Full steam ahead
  • 5 replies

I want to go from Luleå to Rovaniemi.

I’m thinking route

Luleå → Haparanda (by bus)
Haparanda → Kemi (by bus)
Kemi → Rovaniemi (by train)

I have a Eurail Global Pass.
I think I can use the Eurail Pass from Kemi to Rovaniemi, but is it possible to use the Eurail Pass benefits on buses?

I read an article that there are special benefits for buses from Luleå to Rovaniemi and Haparanda to Kemi, but I can't find the details, so please let me know.

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 14 February 2023, 11:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are now also again a very few trains (possibly only mo-fr) Boden-Haparanda, where a new INTern train/bus-combo-station was built, with alaso a giant IKEA (always has relatively cheap restrt and is the quintessence of things Svenska) but not used as such, as the Finnish buses do not get there. There was a very recent post about the walk to the busstop in centre FI-side-just scroll down.

There are 2 Buscomp doing to Kemi- 1 takes passes, NO bus at all between SAT and SUN noon-so plan wise. Otherwise you have to pay bus-over there usually can only be done with card, no cash anymore. In fact it is perfectly possible to travel all across SE without using any cash.

Untill now all trains in FI are done by state VR-all seats are in principle RES on local tickets-but passholders can use them without doing that. That is not very wise on long trips-at any stop someone may come and chase you away-RES (also for sleeper) can be done by calling them. There is also-not daily, an overnite train from the far north of Kemi to HEL-stops at a minor platform somewhere in the outskirts of FI side of Hap. As I assume you will not stay forever ROvaniemi, end of the Santa Claus dubbed express train

Thank you for reply, but I don’t know what you say.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @a.m 

You can travel for free with an Interrail Pass from Lulea to Tornio by bus. See the benefit here: https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/bus-network-in-sweden/

From Tornio, you can also travel for free until Kemi with this benefit: https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/bus-services-in-finland/

I would still confirm with the bus company on the phone to avoid inconveniences. 

Have a nice day!