Solved

Gatwick to Finsbury Park Station - Sat Sept. 30, 2023 - 10:30 am

• 28 September 2023
  • 4 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 10 replies

I’m arriving from the Philippines and will be activating my 3-month Eurail pass on Sat. Sept 30 when I arrive.  I was planning on taking Thameslink to Finsbury Park Station using the pass, but I am encountering conflicting information from multiple sources that is made more complicated by a strike and “Planned Industrial Action!” on Sept. 30.  The Eurail site is showing “EXP” is available from Gatwick to Finsbury.  I think “EXP” is the Thameslink, but I’m not sure as Google Maps shows Thameslink and Gatwick Express are different. Google is showing no Thameslink service on this route on Sept 30.  National Railway is still selling tickets for this route, but it is via Southern Services to Victoria and then tube to Finsbury (so I take it the Thameslink is not operational on this route Sep 30?).   I think I can use the Eurail pass on Southern service from Gatwick to Victoria, but Eurail site is showing “EXP” connects Victoria and Gatwick.  This is all very confusing and before I “wing it” when I arrive, I was hoping for some useful suggestions here.   Thank you in advance for your help.      

icon

Best answer by ralderton 28 September 2023, 16:24

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Don’t use the planner. It won’t be updated with the strike timetable. Use a UK rail timetable such as lner.co.uk.

There are no trains running on the 30th on Thameslink at all.

Southern Railway is operating a basic service between Gatwick London Victoria. You could take the tube from there to Finsbury Park (you need to buy your own ticket),

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/train-strikes-october-2023-b2420020.html

(Don’t pay too much attention to the EXP label on the planner. It doesn’t mean Gatwick Express)

Thank you raiderton.  Eurail pass is good on Southern between Gatwick and Victoria, correct?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, there is (I think) a misprint in that article in the Independent. It says that Gatwick Express services are running from 6.30am to 11.30 am. I think it means 11.30pm!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you raiderton.  Eurail pass is good on Southern between Gatwick and Victoria, correct?   

Yep.