Solved

German Rail Pass

• 13 May 2023
  • 4 replies

I am traveling to Germany from Jun 1 to Jun 8. Arriving in Berlin for 2 nights, then on to Dresden for 1 night, Munich for 2 nights and finally Frankfurt for 2 nights. During my stay I want to be able to get around the cities to visit various places. I was thinking I needed a 7-day consecutive pass but the eurail site said I only needed 4. Can someone help me understand what I need? In Switzerland I can just buy a Swiss Travel pass and its good for all modes of transportation (train, bus, boat).

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 13 May 2023, 08:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The German Rail Pass is only valid for trains and rail replacement busses, not on public transportation like busses, trams and metro.

The German Rail Pass is not comparable with the Swiss Travel Pass as the latter gives access to more or less all transportation in Switzerland. 

Do you think it would make sense to just purchase the 49 euro monthly subscription for traveling around on local trains in Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt and just but a DB ticket for high speed train from Munich to Frankfurt. we are considering just getting a rental car from Berlin to Munich.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd say that it is worth the cost yes but I'm no expert

I wouldn't drive between Berlin and Munich at all : at least 6h driving + traffic + stops while it's a comfortable 4h train ride. You'd also have to pay extra (hundreds of € probably) for leaving the car at another place. That's for going direct

If you stop at Dresden :

- 29€ Berlin - Dresden 2h direct on Saturday 3rd or Sunday 5th (+3€ for a seat reservation on tickets.oebb.at, optional but recommended)

- Dresden - Munich is very expensive (140€) on Sunday 4th but there are a few cheaper options if you use the 49€ ticket for part of the journey : Dresden - Hof - Nuremberg on RE trains for example. 60-70€ on Monday 5th

It'd be way less expensive if you were to make 3 nights in Berlin, 1 in Dresden, 2 in Munich and 1 in Frankfurt (what I'd do)

- Munich - Frankfurt 40-50€ on 6th-7th June

We’ve decided to skip Dresden and drive from Berlin to Munich over 2 days stopping halfway. The 49 euro pass seems would help us get around in the cities and then just buy a ticket from Munich to Frankfurt.