Solved

German Rail Pass - international trains

Hi there,

I got one question.

German Rail Pass exceptionally provides a few international connections to neighboring cities such as 

trains from/to Innsbruck, Venice, Brussels or Basel etc.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/german-rail-pass

If you are a resident of one of neighboring countries (, who is entitled to purchase a German Rail Pass and use these international trains from/to Germany)  and a holder of German Rail Pass, are you still excluded from using a specific international train that connects Germany to your home country? 

(e.g. as a Belgian resident, can I still buy German rail Pass and use Brussels-Cologne trains?)

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 29 May 2022, 17:32

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I can understand from the information at DB there should be no problem for you to travel from/to Brussels.

https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/passes/german-rail-pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

GermanRAIL is-just as EUrail-ONLY sold to those from OUT of EURope.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@mcadv 

That is not true. Please read the info on DB in the link I posted. Everyone except German residents can buy a German Rail Pass.  

As far as I can understand from the information at DB there should be no problem for you to travel from/to Brussels.

https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/passes/german-rail-pass

That's also how I understood, but I was not 100% sure...

Thank you for your reply:)

@mcadv

That is not true. Please read the info on DB in the link I posted. Everyone except German residents can buy a German Rail Pass.  

I found this point extremely confusing. Indeed DB website state anyone who resides outside Germany can purchase the pass. But if I click through the link to choose the pass type, at some point it starts claiming that only people outside Europe can buy the tickets (which contradicts to itself).

I think there exist both Interrail German Rail Pass and Eurail German Rail Pass, and the Interrail website clearly states that the pass is available to European residents outside Germany…

Thank you for your responses!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I found this point extremely confusing. Indeed DB website state anyone who resides outside Germany can purchase the pass. But if I click through the link to choose the pass type, at some point it starts claiming that only people outside Europe can buy the tickets (which contradicts to itself).

I think there exist both Interrail German Rail Pass and Eurail German Rail Pass, and the Interrail website clearly states that the pass is available to European residents outside Germany…

Thank you for your responses!

Very confusing indeed. If you read the conditions above it says that you can't use the pass on the included destinations outside of Germany. But in the next sentence they talk about international trains.

Maybe you need to try to contact DB to get some clarification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From what I can see the German Rail Pass is an offer from DB to all residents outside of Germany. As long as you purchase the pass directly from DB it has nothing to do with neither Eurail nor Interrail. 

https://www.dbregio-shop.de/index.php/product/80/show/0/0/0/0

From the official SCIC-RPT of DB:

There are indeed two different German Rail Passes: Interrail German Rail Pass (for residents out of Germay but in Europe) and Eurail German Rail Pass (for non-european residents) [stated in 3.3 of SCIC-RPT].

Outside Germany both passes are valid “zur Fahrt in den durchgehenden Eurocity-Zügen der DB-ÖBB Kooperation auf der Brennerstrecke nach Österreich und Italien, / zur Fahrt in ICE-Zügen nach Belgien von/nach Liège G, Bruxelles Nord und Bruxelles Midi” [stated in 3.4.2 of SCIC-RPT]. There is no difference between Interrail and Eurail German Rail Pass regarding this - in german it says “Die genannten Pässe berechtigen ...”. So they should both be valid in the Brenner-DB-ÖBB trains and in ICE trains to Bruxelles. 

BTW: It’s also possible to use the ECE train to Milano by buying a “Partial Pass” ticket [stated in 3.8 of SCIC-RPT]. 

Hope that helps.