Solved

German residence permit holder. Eurail or Interrail?

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen studying in Germany and have a German residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) issued for the duration of my study period. Do I prchase Eurail or Interail pass since I have a non-EU nationality but have a residence permit from a EU country. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 4 June 2022, 16:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You qualify for Interrail, with that residence permit. In practice though, nobody wil question you when you buy a Eurail pass. Eurail does not have a limitation on travel in the country of residence.

You qualify for Interrail, with that residence permit. In practice though, nobody wil question you when you buy a Eurail pass. Eurail does not have a limitation on travel in the country of residence.

Thank you for your quick reply. I actually want to travel to France while I hold a German RP hence i will be buying France single country pass. Also since I hold a non-EU passport can i travel by purchasing a Eurail pass or i am legally obligated to buy Interail pass ? Will my visa (RP ) be checked in case of Eurail pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is zero change that anybody will ask about your residence permit if you travel with Eurail and a non-European passport.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NOTE that to go to FR you must buy a return till border (but that is not really possible anymore usually at DB)-or use the 9€ ticket, but that is ONLY valid on local trains and ONLY till last stop BEFore border (officially).

And DO be very much aware of the need to REServe all TGV IC In France-often leading to big frustrations by many. So any trip will also cost you extra (in IDR this will look an awful lot more).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

NOTE that to go to FR you must buy a return till border

He just wrote he has a German railpass, so no.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You are eligible for either an Interrail pass or a Eurail pass. Please remember to have the necessary identifying documents on you while traveling. You can find more information about residency here.