Germany trip - 21 days - what type of pass to buy?

Hi. I and 2 friends plan to travel to Germany for 21 days around end August, good time to visit? 

Have work out the itinerary as follow, not sure is it feasible.

1.Will go to Garmisch (4 night) directly from Munich Airport. 

2.Fussen (4 night)

3.Lindau (2N)

4.Back to Munich (4N) to meet one friends for the rest of the trip

5.Rothenburg der Taucher (2N)

6.Bamberg (2N)

7.Frankfurt (2N)

8.Hamburg (1N). From here we will continue our trip to Esberg, Denmark

I have read up on the type of pass but was confuse as to what type of pass to buy.

Appreciate for your advice.

Thanks Pauline

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do NOT by a pass from here. Try to push it all untill 31/8 latest.

There will be a tremendous cheap offer for LOCAL transportation anywhere in DE for just 9€/month and this can indeed include all your places-but only by regional trains-not the sleek white IC/ICE.

But except for the FRA->HH (=Hamburg) trip its all easily doable by that pass. So use EUrail only from there-and for further onward into Scandinavia.

Use bahn.de for planning and set to ´nur nahverkehr´ (can also be done in /en/ on bahn.com-see yourself what it is there.
you are too early to vsiit that ´oktober´drinking orgy ´fest´ in München-famous for its ´Bierleiche´= people seemingly dead to consuming too many of the half-litre mugs of foaming Bavarian beer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey Pauline,

in general it is a good time to visit, but you can be unlucky and there can be a week of rain too :-D.
About your plan: in general good choice but you should know that many of the places on your trip are really small. So if you stay only in them without any additional program, then you will be maybe bored soon as there’s not so much to see for several days (e.g. Lindau, Rothenburg, ...).

If am often showing friends from abroad around Lindau and after 2-3 hours we are done with sightseeing. So if you are not into swimming or visiting nearby Austria (e.g.), then 2 nights will be definitely too much. In Austria (Bregenz, 10 mins by train) would be an opera on the lake until mid of August… (Bregenzer Festspiele) so if you are interested in cultural activities, this might be interesting for you ;-).

And yeah, except the trip from Frankfurt to Hamburg you can do this quite OK with the 9euro ticket for local transport…

Hi mcadv, thanks for the info.

Will try to plan the travel to 31/8. I can get the LOCAL transport offer upon arrival at Munich Airport or have to get it online in advance? 

Just wondering, what is the difference with German Rail Pass to the LOCAL transport offer you mentioned.

Hi Martin M.

Yes I do have plan for day trip at some of the places mentioned. 

Much appreciate for your advice

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi mcadv, thanks for the info.

Will try to plan the travel to 31/8. I can get the LOCAL transport offer upon arrival at Munich Airport or have to get it online in advance? 

Just wondering, what is the difference with German Rail Pass to the LOCAL transport offer you mentioned.

It will be likely also available from the ticket machines at the airport. All the details should be published in end of May (I think I read somewhere that sale of the ticket starts on 20th May).

Just one thing to mention: you are going to some of the most touristic hotspots in Germany and travel during the most touristic time. So thanks to the 9€ ticket the trains will be likely VERY crowded (means you might have to stand for most of the way, there might be delays because the police will throw people without a seat from the train etc.)

To Füssen and Rothenburg you can only get by local trains but to the other places you could also get by long-distance trains (with the German rail pass), where you will have more comfort (but also pay a higher price of course).

Thanks for all the advice and suggestion. 

Here is the link for the Euro 9 for a whole month in Germany in June, July and August

https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/regional/9-euro-ticket-en

There are some restrictions about which trains you can catch, so best to check those. But it is a great offer is you are travelling around Germany.