Solved

Global pass - city trains covered?

• 3 August 2022
  • 6 replies

I will be travelling by train from Schiphol Airport to Ghent in Belgium using a Global Pass. Can I also use this pass to get from the city center of Amsterdam to Schiphol Airport by train?

And in Munich, what can the Global Pass be used for, apart from trains? I know that I can't use it for public transportation (buses and the subway) in most cities. But I heart it can be used for the S-Bahn in Germany. Is that true?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 4 August 2022, 10:46

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

S-bahn is in DE, AT, CH and DK. There you can use the trains with pass-but it is a big waste to use a travelday for just a short trip that may cost just the odd €. It is more compared to an overground metro (like FNM from Milano used to be).

In M it is these trains only-NOT the local blue trams, nor the also blue U-bahn=metro. Best buy is a daypass for that-city area, OR for anyhwere in DE till 31/.8 the 9€ ticket country wide=special very cheap offer.

Before you ask every detail-better to study the details in country info-in NL and BE you can use about any TRAIN-but in countries like f.e. PL or CZ not.

Nor in fact we other beings from outer space IT in IT-treni like FSE, CircumVesuviana, FSarde etc are out of the pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I will be travelling by train from Schiphol Airport to Ghent in Belgium using a Global Pass. Can I also use this pass to get from the city center of Amsterdam to Schiphol Airport by train?

And in Munich, what can the Global Pass be used for, apart from trains? I know that I can't use it for public transportation (buses and the subway) in most cities. But I heart it can be used for the S-Bahn in Germany. Is that true?

Thanks

Ghent, good choice :). I hope you enjoy my city.

You obviously can use your pass for whichever train in Belgium and the Netherlands. So if you add Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol, and then Ghent via the pass, is perfectly possible. No worries.

But! You wouldn’t even have to switch trains if you leave from Amsterdam Centraal. Just hop on the direct IC to Brussel-Zuid (stops in Antwerpen where you need to switch train to Ghent), without mandatory reservations (unlike Thalys) and it only takes a half hour longer.

S-bahn (or s-trains) are trains. So you can take them with your pass. You also have some in Belgium in and around Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Liège and Charleroi.

Thanks

Ghent, good choice :). I hope you enjoy my city.

You obviously can use your pass for whichever train in Belgium and the Netherlands. So if you add Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol, and then Ghent via the pass, is perfectly possible. No worries.

But! You wouldn’t even have to switch trains if you leave from Amsterdam Centraal. Just hop on the direct IC to Brussel-Zuid (stops in Antwerpen where you need to switch train to Ghent), without mandatory reservations (unlike Thalys) and it only takes a half hour longer.

S-bahn (or s-trains) are trains. So you can take them with your pass. You also have some in Belgium in and around Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Liège and Charleroi.

Thank you, BrendanDB, for the clear answer.

Yes, we're so looking forward to Ghent!

I was thinking about hopping on a train directly from Amsterdam Centraal and making the transfer in Antwerp. But my mother and sister will be arriving in Schiphol that day, and from there will be taking the train directly to Ghent via Antwerp. So I thought it would be less confusing for them if I met them at the airport instead of in Antwerp or Ghent. They want to take Thalys because they will be tired from an overnight flight and want to get to Ghent as soon as possible, even if that means just one hour less on the train.

Mcadv, the only reason I was thinking of using the Global Pass for Munich that day was because we will be travelling from Salzburg to Munich that day, and then heading to the airport. I will be seeing what makes more sense financially.

Thank you both!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@AlessandroM 

I still would take the ordinary -reservation free Intercity to Antwerp/Brussels. The main advantage is that it’s super flexible. You can take any train that day with your interrail, without any reservation.

If the flight would be delayed, there’s a risk that you’lld miss the reserved Thalys. Then you need to switch tickets, reserve again,… A lot of hassle if you’re tired from a long flight.

But on the other side, Thalys has a bit of more comfort and is half an hour quicker ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Are there not still problems with the Thalys trains and many cancellations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There are quite some cancellations yes, until the end of August.

Here’s the overview: https://www.thalys.com/be/en/info-services/traffic-info-real-time-situation.

Combined with the problems on the ICE on the Frankfurt-Amsterdam/Brussels line (that for one reason or another gets less attention), international high speed travel in and out of the BeNeLux is not making a good name this summer unfortunately.😞