Can I use Eurail Pass on local trains? 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 25 August 2021, 10:19

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey,

in general yes. But on some local trains Eurail is not valid (e.g Interlaken Ost-Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald in Switzerland).

If you give more details (which local trains exactly do you want to use?), you will get a better answer ;-).

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

You can indeed; almost all local trains are covered in the pass’s area of validity, and almost none of them require reservation.

The only notable exceptions are underground railways (aka. metro, subway, U-Bahn), and some suburban railway systems (for instance Paris’ RER and Krakow’s Koleje Malopolskie lines).

If you’re asking with regard to a particular journey, let us know which it is and we can try to confirm. I asked something similar to Interrail staff the other week about a small local operator not listed as covered, and they got back to me very quickly with a positive answer.

My travel plan is as follows -  most likely to buy Global Pass 7 Days in a Month.

Landing Vienna - Budapest - Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam - Brussels - Groningen 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

My travel plan is as follows -  most likely to buy Global Pass 7 Days in a Month.

Landing Vienna - Budapest - Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam - Brussels - Groningen 

No worries, don’t see any local trains that might not be included as you are travelling really on main routes.
Just the CAT (City Airport Train in Vienna) is not included, but because of Corona I think it is still not running anyway.  You may use the S7 or the Railjet trains from the airport to the city.

Have a good trip!

Hello everyone! I am going to get o Global pass for 5 days from Paris to Switzerland. I would like to make sure two things: first, if I can go between places back and forth in one travel day, for example from Geneva to Montreux then to Lausanne and back to Geneva to spend the night, and second, if the answer is yes, do I have to add into my itinerary every single place I will visit or not?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello everyone! I am going to get o Global pass for 5 days from Paris to Switzerland. I would like to make sure two things: first, if I can go between places back and forth in one travel day, for example from Geneva to Montreux then to Lausanne and back to Geneva to spend the night, and second, if the answer is yes, do I have to add into my itinerary every single place I will visit or not?

Yes
and yes you have to add each train to your itinerary :) as only with the filled Traveldiary your Pass is valid :) (The information of used trains is needed to decide how much each Company earns from Interrail/Eurail :) )