Solved

Going back to country of residence mid-trip, how does extra traveling in home country work?

Hello :)

I have a question! In July i will travel to Hungary by interrail (i have the 30 days pass). In August i will travel to Italy by interrail. In between this 2 trips i plan to go back to my country of residence (Netherlands). 

I know you only have 2 days traveling in you country of residence. 

But what have i got to do when i travel to Italy?

For example: i use my 2 days traveling in my home country with my trip to Hungary.

We will take the Thalys in the Netherlands to Paris. We already made an reservation for the thalys and paid money. 

So what i don’t understand = Do i have to buy an extra ticket thats valid in the Netherlands: from the station we get on the Thalys (Rotterdam), to the first station accros the border in Belgium? Or does this qualify as being part of the interrail because its on the international traject? 

And if the anwser is yes on buying an ticket, then on the way home we have to buy an ticket from the last trainstation thats outside the border of the Netherlands to the station in the Netherlands we will travel to? We will travel back with an international train starting in Frankfurt. 

Thank you so so much for helping!! :) 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 13 June 2022, 20:21

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thalys do not sell tickets/reservations only for part of the route. You need to have a valid Global Pass from Rotterdam or a Ticket. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sorry, I read now again your question. So you are allowed to use 2 of your traveldays also in your Homecountry (in this case The Netherlands). You can use every train to leave the country or to get to the airport or take a ship. 

Thalys or Eurostar and other High Speed trains need compulsory reservations to use it (about 30€). ICE and IC to Germany or Switzerland not. Nightjet to Austria or Switzerland yes (from 14€). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Haha sorry, I'm a bit confused. you want to use 1 outbound to Hungury and than 1 inbound back home and then also to Italy for the rest of the days. Yes this is possible. You need a valid Ticket to the border (for ICE), Thalys is complicated. Maybe you use the first outbound for thallys instead of for exit netherlands to hungury.

Ticket to the border should work via NS International, you could ask at their Offices or via social media. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sorry, I read now again your question. So you are allowed to use 2 of your traveldays also in your Homecountry (in this case The Netherlands). You can use every train to leave the country or to get to the airport or take a ship. 

Thalys or Eurostar and other High Speed trains need compulsory reservations to use it (about 30€). ICE and IC to Germany or Switzerland not. Nightjet to Austria or Switzerland yes (from 14€). 

Carefull the Nighttrain Amsterdam - Zürich have seating carriages that operate as normal Intercity :) no reservation needed but recommened and you can reserve them from 3€ per seat via oebb.at or aswell on bahn.de :)

The seating carriages offer even 1st and 2nd class :) 
Here you can see the many seating carriages of DB & SBB that are reservation optional on this Nighttrain

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Carefull the Nighttrain Amsterdam - Zürich have seating carriages that operate as normal Intercity :) no reservation needed but recommened and you can reserve them from 3€ per seat via oebb.at or aswell on bahn.de :)

The seating carriages offer even 1st and 2nd class :) 
Here you can see the many seating carriages of DB & SBB that are reservation optional on this Nighttrain

Yes good to point this out, I wrote ICE and IC to Switzerland but not everybody knows that the seat carriges of the NJ to Zürich are IC.

I saw pictures of the train stations in The Netherlands that writes seat reservations requiered for NJ and they don't say nothing about the IC part.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ALS je nu nog niet hebt geboekt, koop dan gewoon volprijs Thls→ P, kost vaak maar iets meer als de hoge toeslag (30€ met pas). je kan voor NL deel ook als je dat hebt Stud OV (mits geldig) of ander NS benutten. Lees je dan heel grondig in hoe met die chipkrt te handelen.

Verder kan het het voordeligst zijn-via bahn.de, te zien of een sparpreis (=vast datum) tot 1e halte in DE niet voordeliger is als duur NS tarief