Help !

• 17 December 2023
  • 16 replies

I want to buy the 5-day flexi Global Pass, but I have a question, I am going to take the night train from Munich to Budapest and then the night train from Budapest to Krakow, neither of them change trains and both would be within 24 hours. . I don't know if in those conditions they count as one day or if it would be 2 days, if you could help me please 😥

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It would count as 2 travel days as the train leaves Munich right before midnight (a pass day is 00:00 - 23:59). You could board it in Rosenheim at 00:33 but you’ll need to pay for a Munich - Rosenheim ticket.

Also remember the mandatory reservations onboard night trains (book in advance).

Thanks for the information! I will do so! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I want to buy the 5-day flexi Global Pass, but I have a question, I am going to take the night train from Munich to Budapest and then the night train from Budapest to Krakow, neither of them change trains and both would be within 24 hours. . I don't know if in those conditions they count as one day or if it would be 2 days, if you could help me please 😥

To understand you right: you want to use one travelday for the night train Munich → Budapest, and another one for Budapest → Krakow?

Yes, that works. you need to use a travel day on day of departure and can stay in the train as long its journey last!

Please read the tariff, its always better to know:

https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/_new-structure/doc/sup/CoU%20V.10-4_10_23.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I want to add that I don’t think there is a Budapest - Krakow night train. You could board the Munich - Warsaw train in Vienna but times are less than ideal : 23:10 departure, 05:59 arrival. Honestly I’d travel during the day, something like :

• EC Budapest-Nyugati - Bohumín 08:12 - 14:12
  • IC Bohumín - Krakow 14:42 - 16:28
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

To understand you right: you want to use one travelday for the night train Munich → Budapest, and another one for Budapest → Krakow?

Yes, that works. you need to use a travel day on day of departure and can stay in the train as long its journey last!

Please read the tariff, its always better to know:

https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/_new-structure/doc/sup/CoU%20V.10-4_10_23.pdf

Ah yes maybe I understood wrong. @Metztli On a night train only the departure day counts/matters, not the arrival day. So any night train would consume a single travel day.

That's my doubt, I don't know if it counts as a day or two, I'm going from Mexico, it's really the first time I would use the pass and go to those countries. So all information is valuable to me. I'm going in February, thank you all for taking the time to respond to me! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Okay so to be clear : only the departure day counts so if you board a night train at 23:30 on 14th February and arrive at 09:00 on 15th, only 14th February will be used as a travel day.

(I thought you wanted to take the Munich - Budapest night train followed right after by the other night train in a single pass day. My bad!)

However look at my other info : I don’t think there is a night train between Budapest and Krakow. Have you seen anything ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Okay so to be clear : only the departure day counts so if you board a night train at 23:30 on 14th February and arrive at 09:00 on 15th, only 14th February will be used as a travel day.

(I thought you wanted to take the Munich - Budapest night train followed right after by the other night train in a single pass day. My bad!)

However look at my other info : I don’t think there is a night train between Budapest and Krakow. Have you seen anything ?

there is, but doesnt run daily with the same schedule

Oh no! I was searching, but it still didn't appear, I thought it was because they hadn't made the 2024 changes yet. 😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah right so there should be something running, even though schedules vary. Weird that it didn’t appear on MÁV (but then again I know it’s not a really good resource).

What would be your travel date @Metztli ? Check DB Navigator app or bahn.com for times.

From 21 (Budapest) to 22 (Krakow) February 😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok so it should run according to DB : 19:30 departure, 05:59 arrival. However I haven’t seen bookings for it. Check regularly MAV, PKP and CD (all operators which could offer that train). Maybe someone else has further precious advice...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK pass reservations for the night train from Budapest to Krakow can't be booked online. They should be bookable from 60 days in advance at many ticket offices that can sell international reservations; doesn't need to be in Hungary. Also note that in winter, it's just one sleeper coach and 1 seating coach, no couchettes.

Thank you all, I will follow your valuable advice!! 🫡

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

AFAIK pass reservations for the night train from Budapest to Krakow can't be booked online. They should be bookable from 60 days in advance at many ticket offices that can sell international reservations; doesn't need to be in Hungary. Also note that in winter, it's just one sleeper coach and 1 seating coach, no couchettes.

Were they available through CD at some point ? Seat61 doesn’t mention it anymore but I’m pretty sure it was possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Were they available through CD at some point ? Seat61 doesn’t mention it anymore but I’m pretty sure it was possible.

I also have a vague memory that it was possible a few months ago. Currently, it works for a seat (when you see "system error” then retry) but not for the sleeper.