Solved

Help! automatic gates in Portugal, what to do?

We just arrived in Lisbon and wanting to travel to Lagos. We’ve noticed they have automatic gates/barriers at the train station and don’t know how to get past them using our mobile passes? Does anyone know? At the train station we are at (rossio) they don’t have anyone supervising the gates. Any advice is appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 25 August 2022, 19:04

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have you tried to scan your ticket at the gate?

Hiya! Yes we have, we have a mobile pass and it wouldn’t work for us. 😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You scan the QRcode that is your ticket for the train. The ticket you will use for the train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You must create a ticket (QR code) in the app to board the train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No-it will not work there-the gates are with chipcards.

Does anyone have brains? Stations have staff-ask them.

AFAIK (was there some yrs ago now) this is only for local trains around Lisb.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does anyone have brains? Stations have staff-ask them.

That is not very polite to write. It was mentioned that there was no staff available. 

Did you find a solution for this?

When asking staff they always tell me to just show the pass to another staff member. There’s usually someone to let me in, but when trying to leave the station, miraculously, there’s never staff  there. Tried using the help/call button but no one answered. I’ve been stuck in train station so many times while staying in Lisbon and I’m treading boarding another train here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

When asking staff they always tell me to just show the pass to another staff member. There’s usually someone to let me in, but when trying to leave the station, miraculously, there’s never staff  there. Tried using the help/call button but no one answered. I’ve been stuck in train station so many times while staying in Lisbon and I’m treading boarding another train here.

In a word: NO.

Like many aspects of Interrail/Eurail, in theory it is a great product, in reality it all too often leaves it’s customers having to deal with bad situations where clearly nobody in either Interrail or local operators gives a shit. They already have your money or in the case of certain train companies act as if you are some sort of freeloader so are more than happy to treat you with utter contempt.

hiya 

no we did not find a solution to this. We ended up only using our eurail pass travelling around Portugal and other towns regional trains. Lisbon was by far the most difficult to get around with our passes so we opted just to buy them. Was too much hassle. We had an EXTREMELY rude service desk man at the Rossio station which put us right off asking to be let through the gates. 

sorry! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

hiya 

no we did not find a solution to this. We ended up only using our eurail pass travelling around Portugal and other towns regional trains. Lisbon was by far the most difficult to get around with our passes so we opted just to buy them. Was too much hassle. We had an EXTREMELY rude service desk man at the Rossio station which put us right off asking to be let through the gates. 

sorry! 

It would be good if you could inform Customer Support about this so that they can get in touch with the Portuguese railway company. Please use this form to contact Customer Support. 

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new