Solved

Help with Paris Switzerland Itinerary for EU Rail Pass

• 7 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi Experts,

We (couple and 2 kids, 2 years and 7 year old respectively) are scheduled to travel Paris, Switzerland and Venice end of April and first week of May with following Itinerary. I managed to get 50% off deal for 10 days in 2 months Global Pass on Klook during end of year sale and looking to make most of it. Also, there is a news of Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Murren area now being fully covered in EURail Pass, so looking to make Lauterbrunnen as a base in that region as I like the place and also stay flexible travelling in that region because of EURail pass.

Day 1: Paris

Day 2: Paris

Day 3: Zurich

Day 4: Lucerne (Titlis)

Day 5: Lauterbrunnen (Lauterbrunnen, Wegen, Murren, Gimmelwald)

Day 6: Lauterbrunnen (Interlaken, Zweisimmen, Gstaad, Saanen)

Day 7: Lauterbrunnen (Harder Kulm/Interlaken, Iseltwald, Brienz, Thun, Bern

Day 8: Lauterbrunnen (Grindlewald First, Grindlewald)

Day 9: Lauterbrunnen (Jungfraujoch)

Day 10: Zermatt

Day 11: Venice

Day 12: Milan

Day 13 : Departure from Milan

As far as I have checked in Rail Planner app, entire itinerary except Jungfraujoch and Grindelwald First is covered in EU Rail pass (Plus reservations wherever applicable). Need your opinion/suggestions.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 January 2024, 17:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It look like a bit heavy on the ‘Swiss scenery’ side of things, but maybe you have your reasons for spending so much time there.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Jugfraujoch. To me it’s an expensive ticket through mostly tunnel to reach a gift shop. The views are good (if you’re luck with weather) but honestly the views are also good from Grindelwald.

How much time will you have in Venice? It’ll take half a day to get there from Zermatt. I would certainly spend more time in Venice and get rid of a day or two in Switzerland.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Don't miss a boat ride on Lake Thun or Brienz, they're fully included!

I also agree that Jungfraujoch is a bit of a tourist trap : even with the 25% discount expect to pay 150 CHF per adult and 20-30 CHF for the 7 y.o. Schilthorn is half the price.

25% discount on Titlis too.

Jungfraujoch and Grindelwald aren't worth a day each. Combine them instead : go up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald.

And move the extra day to Venice, the city is definitely worth a full day at least!

About seat reservations :

- 29€ for the direct TGV Lyria Paris - Zurich (10-20€ if you switch to a fast regional train in Strasbourg or Mulhouse, about 30 min longer)

- 13€ on cross-border EC trains to Italy

- 13€ on Frecciarossa trains too

Last thing : pay attention to maintenance closures on mountain railways as end of April/start of May is typically off-season. Snow is quickly melting so the ski season comes to an end and the landscape higher up is quite muddy.

EDIT : For example Stechelberg - Mürren - Schilthorn is closed between 22nd and 26th April.

It look like a bit heavy on the ‘Swiss scenery’ side of things, but maybe you have your reasons for spending so much time there.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Jugfraujoch. To me it’s an expensive ticket through mostly tunnel to reach a gift shop. The views are good (if you’re luck with weather) but honestly the views are also good from Grindelwald.

How much time will you have in Venice? It’ll take half a day to get there from Zermatt. I would certainly spend more time in Venice and get rid of a day or two in Switzerland.

Yes, you are right, a bit heavy on Swiss scenery side as this is our first trip and has been on our radar for a long time. We also want to spend some relax time instead of rushing around in mountains and elsewhere, especially with kids.

Regarding Jugfraujoch again, yes, I have also heard its a tourist trap but looks like something that has to be ticked-off on your first Swiss tour. BTW I again have 50% off promotion vouchers for Jugfraujoch tour from Interlaken bought on Klook back in November during Black Friday sale. 

We will consider adding a day in Venice though as per your suggestion.

Thanks for your suggestions @ralderton  :) 

Don't miss a boat ride on Lake Thun or Brienz, they're fully included!

I also agree that Jungfraujoch is a bit of a tourist trap : even with the 25% discount expect to pay 150 CHF per adult and 20-30 CHF for the 7 y.o. Schilthorn is half the price.

25% discount on Titlis too.

Jungfraujoch and Grindelwald aren't worth a day each. Combine them instead : go up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald.

And move the extra day to Venice, the city is definitely worth a full day at least!

About seat reservations :

- 29€ for the direct TGV Lyria Paris - Zurich (10-20€ if you switch to a fast regional train in Strasbourg or Mulhouse, about 30 min longer)

- 13€ on cross-border EC trains to Italy

- 13€ on Frecciarossa trains too

Last thing : pay attention to maintenance closures on mountain railways as end of April/start of May is typically off-season. Snow is quickly melting so the ski season comes to an end and the landscape higher up is quite muddy.

EDIT : For example Stechelberg - Mürren - Schilthorn is closed between 22nd and 26th April.

Thanks @thibcabe for your detailed response and seat reservation information as well as maintenance closures.

Wil try to combine Jungfraujoch and Grindelwald in a day and add a day to Venice. And yes, Lake Thun or Brienz Boat rides are a must :)