Solved

How can I book a interrail ticket for a nonbinary person?

When you want to buy an interrail ticket you only get the gender options male and female. Is it not possible for nonbinary folks to travel by interrail?

icon

Best answer by seewulf 2 July 2022, 20:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

ofcourse it´s possible to travel as non binary person but currently still most railcompanies work like the “Standard” system Male/Female. I know about the court decision few days ago in Germany about German rail to offer a non binary solution. And Eurail even have an eye on that. But the questions how will non binary travel on Nighttrains? Sleeper carriages are sorted by men & women you can ofcourse start a big discussion with every Railcompany in Europe about that.

It´s pretty new and the Companies and Busniess need´s time to figure out how to process it. It´s not just taken by adding a third choice during the booking process.

…so what option should a nonbinary person choose when booking an interrail ticket, to be sure it is in accord with their passport?

I see that the problem is not necessary Eurail but the rail services in the participating countries.

Nevertheless my wish is that Eurail works towards a modern easy train access for all and to communicate remaining deficits to the train services as well as customers.

Regarding night trains: yes this is a problem, but not really an insolvable one. You could designate a fraction of beds to either gender. We use the same train toilets already.

All in all this is no dealbreaker in my opinion and a missing solution here shouldn‘t stop people from traveling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Ahrdie 

I suggest that you share your thoughts regarding this matter with Customer Support at Interrail/Eurail. Please use this form to give them feedback.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello, we are already working together with carriers and reservation platforms to create a more gender-inclusive pass. Right now, the only reason gender is still required is for highly specific kinds of reservations when it comes to overnight trains that feature gendered carriages. We fully understand how uncomfortable it can be for a non-binary traveler to travel with a gendered pass and we hope to address this soon!