Solved

How does the Time-table work? Can I get my my locations?

• 11 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello! I am looking at buying a pass for my trip but I was wondering if the rail pass covers all the directions listens when I use the “train times” page? Like if it lists trains, buses, or ferries are those all covered in the pass? (3 month pass specifically!)

For example I searched Wageningen to Paris and it tells me to take a bus then a Utrecht train line, then a couple another train lines for transfers. Would all of those lines work with the pass excluding any reservation fees? 

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 11 August 2022, 22:02

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, 

sorry wich timetable do you use? The Railplanner App?

In the Netherlands should not be able to use ANY busses except rail replacement busses. 

Almost all trains in Europe are part of Interrail/Eurail, some like Thalys to Paris needs a reservation. 

In the Netherlands all trains of NS (Dutch railways) are part of it. Including International trains like Thalys, Eurostar, IC Brussel, IC Berlin, ICE International or Nightjet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

High speed trains have mandatory reservations apart from domestic high speed trains in Germany which have optional reservation. Night trains also have mandatory reservation. Then there are some other trains, like the scenic trains in Switzerland that have mandatory reservation. Many trains in Spain need to be reserved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If I understand your question you have been using the Interrail train times planner.

Many will tell you that the IR planner is not perfect, frequently missing trains, only updated monthly etc, and you need to use other planners as well. All good advice.

However that being so. the IR planner is still a vital tool in your planning. 

When you search a journey in the planner it shows what it sees as the best journeys to your  search.

There is a huge amount of info in its results and after a few searches you will know instantly whether the trains on the journey are valid ( a message that a particular train in the journey is not in the IR network), 

If the train is green it means that either reservations are not needed or are optional.

It shows connection times, stations it stops at etc.

There are a few filters such as only show journeys with no reservations.

Be wary if it shows a bus connection - most buses are not covered by your pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is a huge amount of info in its results and after a few searches you will know instantly whether the trains on the journey are valid ( a message that a particular train in the journey is not in the IR network), 

Unfortunately, there are also frequent errors in showing in which trains the pass is or isn't valid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wageningen-where a famous agricultural Uni is-visited by people from all over thiis world-has very frequent buses to station EDE (ev 5 mins daytime, shortest ride), though at the mo till end of month Ede is without trains due to works, Arnhem (going east) ev 15 mins, takes 35 mins and Utrecht, via station Zeist-takes nearly 90 mins. IF holding no chipcard buy ticket from river, not cheap, by bankcard only.

a better planner is bahn.com- covers more as app and is frequently updated-and will in general not show buses or non-pass- lines, but not for 100%-as it is a general source.