Solved

I have a long terms visa from Russia, can I buy an Interrail Pass?

• 11 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Hello, I’m an international student from Russia and I have a long term visa ( more than 90 days but less than a year) can I buy a pass interrial global? 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 11 February 2022, 14:26

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, you can buy only an Interrail Global Pass, because you are from Russia, and Russia is part of Europe (the continent). 

https://community.eurail.com/members/angelo-85, I  mean I read about it , it was said that it is only for European residents, and I m counted as a European resident? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, you are and have always been, since this scheme was set open to the old communist countries after the walls fell.

However, If you now live/stay for more as 6 month in another EUR country and have proof of that (usually kind of permit from local administration) then that country is considered to be your ´home country´ and in there you can only make 1 returntrip, 1 OUT and 1 INbound.

In fact there is since 2-3 years no more real difference between EUrail and INterRail, except for this home-country rule.

You probably have noted that railways in EUR function quite a bit different from the RZD

What does it mean that I have 1 out and 1 outbound ? I planned to buy the card for two months and travel every weekends ? Is it this way ? 
thanks in advance 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The outbound/inbound rule works like that. You can use 1 day to leave your home country (to the border or to the airport) and 1 day to get back home in your home country.

When you buy like an 7 in 1 month pass or an 2 months continues pass you can use it in the period that your pass is valid only two times in your home country.

This ”home country” is the country where you live for 6 months or Russia (but please note, in Russia and Belarus no train company is part of Interrail)). 

Thank you very much, Sorry for bothering you again, but still I cannot understand why I can leave the country only two times 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This ”home country” is the country where you live for 6 months

The term and conditions do not mention a 6-month period anymore. You just need to be able to prove your residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@rvdborgt  this means, he can choose Russia as home country? This would be also easier for him, because he don’t need to look after the Inbound/Outbound Rule. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Angelo 
Yes he can choose Russia :) (Usually they use the Nationality of the Passport / ID-Card as homecountry ;)  )

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

To Ann Tukman.

Perhaps the following explanation will help, in respect of your wanting to use your pass every weekend over a period of two months.

If this means you want to go back home after each weekend, and leave again the next weekend, then you would need a new pass every week! 

With a two-month pass, the idea is for you to make a single two-month journey away from home, to any other country or countries you like.

I hope that this is clear.