Solved

I need 2 inbound and 2 outbound, can I buy additional Inbound/outbound?

• 21 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello all, I have questions regarding to interail pass.

I’m not an European citizen, but I bought a interail pass because I’m staying in Germany for 1 year and got residence permit.

While I was planning my travel around Europe, I need 2 inbound and 2 outbound each.

In this case, do I have to buy additional inbound and outbound ticket? If yes, how can I buy it?

Also, will it be possible for me to change interail pass to eurail pass?

Thanks for your answer.

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 1 September 2022, 12:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you have a passpt from out of EUR then you could have used it to purchase EUrail without this limitation. If it is possible to excahnge this-Hmm, I am not sure, as by buying IR you have made it clear you live in DE since some time. IF IR has not started you could follow the costlier way: cancel IR and buy new EU-hope they do not discover this (they are far too busy anyway, but maybe the system is set up for that) and wait+_wait+wait longer for the refund less 15%. YOu do the math: as the ALT is:

As you most likely know: NOW till 31/8 there is the supercheap 9€ ticket-all over DE-but NOT in most cases for the last KM from last station till border point-but there are exceptions (Basel, Salzburg, Hengelo). So that is by far the easiest and cheapest way, if your homebase is conveniently situated for it. It should be plain obvious that the people in DB Reisecenter could sell you normal FLEX tickets till border points-only at high full fare. So most often it is easier/cheaper to buy a Sparpreis to the 1st conveneint stop on station just over border-even if this technically means you pay double for the sector border-that stop.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Cholin 

The residence location is crucial to consider when purchasing a Pass. In such a case, the country of residence will always take precedence, regardless of whether you have a passport from a country outside of Europe.

The inbound/outbound trips cannot be purchased separately. You would need to purchase a separate train ticket until the first stop after crossing the border and then use your Pass from there.

Have a lovely day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

​​The inbound/outbound trips cannot be purchased separately. You would need to purchase a separate train ticket until the first stop after crossing the border and then use your Pass from there.

@Camilo. 

You only need extra tickets from/to the tariff border point. Buying a ticket to a station further than that only makes sense if there's a cheaper offer that is not availably for tickets to/from the tariff border point.