Solved

ICE or IC train Germany covered?

Badge +1

I intend to buy (I still don't know which one) a pass to do the following route, I believe it's the Global (?)
Koblenz (Germany) Copenhagen, Stockholm, Luossabacken (Sweden) Stockholm, Tallinn (Estland) Helsinki (Finnland) Koblenz (Germany)
I would like to know if in Germany I can use any train and also in other countries ( ICE, IC, Trains rapid etc)
Thank you very much for your time.

Roberto

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 6 June 2022, 18:19

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, you can use all trains run by DB and trains run by many of the other railway companies in Germany.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here you can check what railway companies that are included in the Interrail/Eurail offer:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you are going to travel during the summer, when you can use the 9 EUR ticket in Germany, and if you only are going to visit the towns mentioned above, it might be cheaper to buy ordinary tickets, than buying a global pass. You can calculate on that using the national railway companies' websites.

The ferries between Stockholm-Tallinn, Tallinn-Helsinki and Helsinki-Stockholm are discounted with the pass. The discount is on the ordinary fare so it might be possible to get a cheaper ticket without using the Interrail discount if you book well in advance. 

Badge +1

Thanks a lot for the quick response.  Do you know if I need to pay the difference for using ICE or IC?  The 9€ tickets can only be used on regional trains and not ICE or IC.  A trip from here to Flensburg takes more than 8 hours and I need to change trains 4 or 5 times with the regional train!!!  The price of the pass is €365 for 10 days, I believe it is cheaper than buying a separate ticket, or?  besides saving time....

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you want to use the IC and ICE you need a global pass. I have not read anywhere that you can pay a difference from the 9 EUR ticket to travel with those trains. I guess that you are right regarding the price and the time saving aspect of the global pass.

Badge +1

You helped me a lot.  

Thank you very much. 

Roberto 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In DE DB runs ALL IC/ICE trains-besides them there is a budget FLIXtrain (Green trains) but this wont help you. It may be in some cases that In DE the train is a swiss or Austrian one-or going to DK a DSB=danish, but INside Germany its considered to be DB.

I have this 9€ ticket and used it: forget it, trains are so overcrowded you will have to satnd at least half that way using it.

Badge +1

thank you very much for the answer.... You are right, besides being slow and stopping in many small train stations, the 9€ ticket for the next 3 months they will always be very full... I will make the plans and check better which ticket should i buy.  Thank you very much.