Solved

In/outbound eurostar

Hi all,

I have a 3 month global pass and used my outbound travel to start this journey.

I’m coming back to France and probably using my inbound day end of this month.

I’d like to then travel again in june and take a brussels to london eurostar.

I have read here and there that the app detects that you enter your COR (country of residence) so I’m wondering if my plan will work or not. It would be quite a pity i guess if it were the case.

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!

icon

Best answer by Mukhammad 15 May 2023, 10:38

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don't think that the app will detect that you travel through France as long as you don't change trains while in the country

I know that some people did that and never had a problem.

Btw book the Eurostar seat reservation ASAP (30€), they can sell out weeks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don't think that the app will detect that you travel through France as long as you don't change trains while in the country

I know that some people did that and never had a problem.

That may have been so because the "Lille Europe” station that the Eurostar calls at did not have a country assigned to it at one point, but it looks like now it does.

Whenever a train you use calls at a station in your COR, the app will normally use one of your COR days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Mmmh maybe that is the reason.

I've also heard people using the Prague - Zurich night train (via Frankfurt) without using an inbound day, even though they live in Germany. The train does enter the country before midnight so I don't really know...

That may have been so because the "Lille Europe” station that the Eurostar calls at did not have a country assigned to it at one point, but it looks like now it does.

Whenever a train you use calls at a station in your COR, the app will normally use one of your COR days.

Well, that’s messed up… and really unfair for french travellers i guess.

I mean, it’s not that I WANT to go through France, I litterally have no other choice. Anyway to contact someone about this ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Until someone else official replies, I'll only list alternatives you've got :

- Eurostar regular ticket (might be still cheap on some dates in June)

- ferry Hoek van Holland - Harwich (about 30€, 30% discount with Interrail) daytime or overnight (need to add a cabin). Train to Rotterdam and then Schiedam, subway to Hoek (3-4€, contactless card) + train Harwich - London. It's obviously longer but a beautiful experience. More info here : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-amsterdam-by-ferry.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well, that’s messed up… and really unfair for french travellers i guess.

I mean, it’s not that I WANT to go through France, I litterally have no other choice.

I think you can also use one of the Eurostars that don't call at Lille. You can test that in the app if you have an active pass. When adding a journey to your pass that will use a COR day, the app will always first ask if you want to use that COR day. That means you can test that for a future journey.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi @Zendars,

Some Eurostar trains from Brussels to London indicate passing Lille Europe as in France, but some don't according to the App. If you encounter any issue related to it, please feel free to contact our CS team on https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new.

Have a nice day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Then does that mean that taking the Eurostar between Brussels and London is possible without using an inbound/outbond day @Mukhammad ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Then does that mean that taking the Eurostar between Brussels and London is possible without using an inbound/outbond day @Mukhammad ?

@thibcabe 

There are some routes don't indicate going through Lille Europe. As far as I understand, then the system in the App doesn't activate inbound/outbound journey for French residents.

But an extra outbound/inbound journey can be added by our CS, if all routes on the chosen date go through Lille Europe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the answer.

So from what I've understood : it is possible for OP not to use an inbound/outbound day (or they can contact customer service for an extra one when needed)

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks for the answer.

So from what I've understood : it is possible for OP not to use an inbound/outbound day (or they can contact customer service for an extra one when needed)

Exactly! You're welcome @thibcabe