Solved

Inbound/outbound journey - how many connections does it cover?

Hi I’m new to interrailing and trying to work out the limits of travel in my country of residence (UK).

I’m planning to get a month long pass and plan to make a trip from Amsterdam (NL) to Edinburgh (UK) midway through and then travel back to mainland Europe after.

Would the journey from Amsterdam (NL) - London (UK) - Edinburgh (UK) all be covered by interrail if done over one day?

On the way back I’d like to stop in Bristol for a few days, before going to London and then Paris: Edinburgh (UK) - Bristol (UK) - London (UK) - Paris (FR).

Am I correct in thinking that the interrail would only cover Edinburgh (UK) to Bristol (UK)? 

And would I also be able to use it to cover Bristol (UK) - London (UK) - Paris (FR) (done in one day) instead? 

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 8 May 2022, 14:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

On one day you are allowed to take so many trains that you can. Important is to enter or better the scheduled departure time of the train before midnight CET (Central European Time +1), you can exit from the train also the next day only using one inbound/outbound trip. 

For the second question, yes it is possible. You don’t enter the trip in the app or write it down on the paper pass from Edinburgh (UK) to Bristol (UK) and buy a Ticket for this leg and use Interrail only for the other trip from Bristol. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN the UK/GB they are often said to be quite strict about these IN/OUtbound rules and ONLY a reasonable direct route-with whatever nr of changes is needed to cover- is allowed. So Bristol-via Aberdeen-to LONdon will not be allowed. This is UK of course with its byzantine old-style intricate fares-rulings,  so endless disputed among railfans abut what should be allowed and what just not