Skip to main content
Solved

Interlaken to Milan - bus reservation?

• 9 June 2024
  • 8 replies

I am planning to go from Interlaken to Milan on Aug 6th in the evening. I understand that there is construction going on so will have to take the bus for part of the journey (from Domodossola). Where do I reserve a seat for the bus? Are there other shorter routes to Milan from Switzerland?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The bus can be booked at a ticket office in Switzerland or Italy.

There are other routes, but they aren't shorter.

Badge

thanks for your quick reply. We have 1st class eurail passes. Would they cover the bus? I would like to reserve seats in advance for the bus for peace of mind. Which site is best to reserve the seats?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes your pass is valid. 1st/2nd class doesn't matter.

As rvdborgt said the bus cannot be booked online. Book at any counter in Switzerland (3 CHF passholder fare).

Or you buy a 13€ ticket online in advance... but availability won't be an issue on an evening so personally I'd rather wait. 

Badge

Hi, is a 13 min exchange at Spiez enough time? So sounds like if I reserve seats in advance for the bus portion of my route it will be 13euro vs 3CHF if i book once in switzerland? Are there any othe routes you would suggested from Interlake to Milan? We would like minimal changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

13 min is enough. Yes 13€ for an online ticket.

You could take the long way round via Lucerne and Lugano. 3 trains and fully reservation-free. 1h longer than usual due to the Gotthard Base Tunnel closure. For example:

- IR Interlaken Ost - Lucerne 16:15 - 18:04

- IC21 Lucerne - Lugano 18:18 - 20:48

- RE Lugano - Milano Centrale 21:02 - 22:17

Badge

So this is the journey I am planning to take on Aug 6th (see below). Are these trains usually on time? Given it is late at night, I am worried that if we miss any connection due to delays, we may not make it to Milan that night. Would the longer route through Lucerne and Lugano be a safer bet?

Also looks like seat reservations can only be done at the station for the 2nd and 3rd leg. Any risk that the trains might get full?

6:30pm-6:52pm Interlaken to Spiez

7:05pm-8:12pm Spiez to Domodossola

8:30pm-9:50pm Domodossola to Milan (bus)

Badge

Hi, below is the schedule I am seeing for Interlaken to Milan on Aug 6th. I was wondering if these trains are usally on time? I am worried about the connections and getting stuck somewhere since our route is in the evening? Also, looks like I can’t reserve any seats in advance anymore for the bus- hopefully that won’t be an issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

These trains are on time yes and the bus will wait for the EC no matter what.

No reservations until Domodossola.

Then as I said either use https://www.trenitalia.com/ for a 13€ ticket or get a passholder reservation (3 CHF) at a Swiss station.

The evening departure (2 coaches) is unlikely to sell out. When I was in Domo earlier in June they were barely half full.