Solved

Interrail France Germany

• 10 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone! 

I have an inter rail pass and want to book a train (outbound) from Bordeaux to Cologne (route goes through Paris). I am not able to book the train through the app or the provided links for TGV etc.

However, I can see the route on SNCF. How can I now make the reservation?

thank you!

isabella 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 October 2023, 14:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Which train are you looking at and on what date ? Please note that you cannot take Thalys/Eurostar trains to Cologne since they go through Belgium.

You could take the Bordeaux - Strasbourg TGV to avoid Paris or otherwise transfer there (RER not included). If you mention a travel date I can suggest an itinerary depending on availability (some trains sell out well in advance).

You are entitled to free reservations on domestic and cross-border TGVs/ICEs but you have to go to a SNCF ticket counter. More info : https://assistance.passefranceallemagne.fr/fr/support/solutions/articles/103000124118-comment-r%C3%A9server-gratuitement-le-trajet-aller-vers-l-allemagne-et-le-retour-vers-la-france-#

PS : Je peux répondre en français si jamais.

Hi!

Thank you for your answer. 

I am looking for the following connection:

Aller : Ven. 22 déc. // Départ de Bordeaux St Jean 06:46 à destination de Koeln Hbf 13:35

I will try going to the SNCF ticket counter. However, I am wondering, because I can find connections for this trip for earlier dates in the interrail App, so why not for december? And what is about this Belgium thing? When I was booking my interrail ticket, I was indicating my connections and the ticket was suggest to me based ión these indications..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The European-wide timetable change happens on 10th December. Not all timetables have been published yet. Germany should be added tomorrow or later this week and Interrail/Rail Planner should follow a few days later.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Do you have a Global pass or a special Franco-German pass ? The latter only gives you unlimited travel in Germany + travel from your hometown to the border. You cannot transit through Belgium or Switzerland for example.

But if you have a Global Pass you can travel for sure through Belgium ! Keep in mind the mandatory reservations onboard Eurostar Red/Thalys : 32€ from Paris to Cologne. There's a passholder quota so book well in advance.

Thank you again! I do have a global Pass. SO I understood, it will be updated this week and stopping at SNCF is not bringing me further with the Global Pass?

I’m trying to book well in advance, but unfortunately the App of Interrail doesn’t allow me to book the connection...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes times should be published soon.

It is already possible to book the Eurostar/Thalys here : https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (4€ fee per order as opposed to 2€ per person per train on interrail.eu).

You should still be able to get domestic reservations for free at a SNCF counter as you're a French resident with a Global Pass. Ask for a billet parcours d'approche. This would work for Bordeaux - Paris or Bordeaux - Strasbourg for example.