Solved

Interrail global travel day vs ÖBB day ticket

• 27 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Dear all,

I am having a Global Interrail pass for 5 days of travelling in one month.

I reserved a seat for the ÖBB Nightjet from Zagreb to Stuttgart in the ÖBB app by choosing 'single tickets/day tickets' and selecting 'Interrail/Eurail - Globalpass' discount. On the received ÖBB ticket, the following is stated: 'Fahrschein + Reservierung'. So does this mean that this ÖBB ticket is all I need to board or do I need to use one of my travel days in the Interrail app as well?

And what about a trip during the day in Slovenia (from Postojna to Ljubljana)? I can buy a single ticket and use the interrail discount in the ÖBB app for this as well. Will this save me a travel day in the Interrail app?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Frank

icon

Best answer by Al_G 27 August 2023, 15:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need to use a travel day as the global pass is your ticket. You pay the reservation through ÖBB but you need the QR code from your global pass to have a valid ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you use Interrail as a discount then the reservation price you get will be discounted and only valid with an active interrail/Eurail pass. Using these without the interrail would be a form of fare evasion and could land you in legal trouble.

For the night train there is normally a substantial discount on regular prices so it is worth using a pass day.

For Postojna to Ljubljana then if that is the only travel you will take in that day then it will be cheaper to just buy a regular ticket.

On OBB you can easily see the difference in price by removing the Interrail discount and searching for the tickets.

Thank you for the quick responses!

So whenever I select the Interrail/Eurail - Globalpass' discount (could be for nighttrain reservation or regular train with no reservation needed) I need to use a travel day of my interrail as well, right? 

In this article (https://www.interrail.eu/en/magazine/did-you-know/7-types-pass-benefits-you-will-love) however, it is stated that "If the benefit is simply a discount on the full fare, then you do not need to use a travel day."

Do I miss something here of is this article just wrong?

Kind regards,

Frank

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for the quick responses!

So whenever I select the Interrail/Eurail - Globalpass' discount (could be for nighttrain reservation or regular train with no reservation needed) I need to use a travel day of my interrail as well, right? 

In this article (https://www.interrail.eu/en/magazine/did-you-know/7-types-pass-benefits-you-will-love) however, it is stated that "If the benefit is simply a discount on the full fare, then you do not need to use a travel day."

Do I miss something here of is this article just wrong?

Kind regards,

Frank

You are conflating two seperate things. The discounts listed that apply to holders of passes without needing a pass day to be used are for things not covered by the pass such as tourist attractions, ferries and occasionally railways that do not participate in Interrail network.

The “discount” that applies on sites such as OBB is 100% of the rail travel fare which is covered by your pass, for certain trips such as night trans or trains with reservations the cost is for additional fees such as seat or sleeper/couchette reservations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

On night trains you need the reservation + travel day. ÖBB sells it as normal ticket - discount, but it is the same. Without using a travel day you will get a fine by the train staff or having to left the train before arriving to the destination.

Dear all,

Thank you for your quick responses. It's clear for me now.

Kind regards,

Frank