Interrail website not letting me register my trip

• 30 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi everybody

I have interrail passes which i bought a couple of years ago and have delayed using because of the pandemic. I am now trying to book a trip for this August. I been trying to book some reservations for the trip using the interrail.eu webiste. Before i can book reservations it wants me to create a trip and then add passenger details (last name and pass number). But every time i name a trip and then add the first passenger details it asks m to log in again and then takes me back to a screen where it says i have no current trips and ask me to create a trip again. When i go into my account and look at the “trips and travellers” section all of the trips i have set up are recorded there as past trips rather than upcoming trips. I am very grateful for any advice to help me successfully log my trip and then book reservations. 

Many thanks

James 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As with any strange website behaviour: have you already tried clearing your browser cache and deleting cookies for interrail.eu?

Additionally, if you say which exact trains you'd like to book, then people can suggest other (also possibly cheaper) ways to book them.

Thanks rvddborgt. I did try that but it didnt work. Every time i try to register my trip it is still registering it as a past trip so i cant book anything. The reservation i am most keen to book is from London to amserdam on the eurostar and back on the eurostar from Brussels to London. I also would like to book my trip from Amsterdam to Copenhagen if possible. Is there any advantage to making bookings through the interrail system or is it just as good to make bookings through other train companies?

Many thanks

James 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks rvddborgt. I did try that but it didnt work. Every time i try to register my trip it is still registering it as a past trip so i cant book anything.

Strange. Maybe try another browser or try with all types of cookies allowed? At least that part of the website seems to work for me.

The reservation i am most keen to book is from London to amserdam on the eurostar and back on the eurostar from Brussels to London. I also would like to book my trip from Amsterdam to Copenhagen if possible. Is there any advantage to making bookings through the interrail system or is it just as good to make bookings through other train companies?

You can book reservations anywhere you like. I avoid booking via Interrail because of the extra costs, such as the 2€ booking fee per person and train and the very expensive optional reservations: 8€ in total per person and train, while ÖBB or ČD charge 3€ per person and train or DB 4€ per person and journey (which can include multiple trains).

You can also book Eurostar via:

• Belgian railways website (booking fee 4€ per order). Pass cover number needed.
  • by phone via French railways (press #85 for English). No booking fee.
  • by phone via Belgian railways. No booking fee but the French number should be cheaper to call.
  • by phone via Eurostar. Booking fee £10 per order. Pass cover number needed.

Amsterdam to Copenhagen has optional reservations, except for the Hamburg - Copenhagen direct trains in summer (from 25 June). As long as all reservations are optional, you can book the whole journey for 4€ per person via DB (click on "Seat only”). Interrail will happily charge 3 x 8 = 24€ for the same reservations.

When Hamburg - Copenhagen has obligatory reservations, book Amsterdam - Hamburg via DB (4€) and then Hamburg - Copenhagen via DSB (30 DKK).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did you try registering a pass with the option "No start date yet”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For AMS-CPH you need at least 3 trains=2 changes (Osnabrück, Hamburg). IF willing to change even more-and not travel on the much in demand overnight summer seats only train train-CPH, then you do as such not need any REServation-its all optional.

Thanks very much for the replies which are really helpful - great advice on my specific route. I tried again to use the interrail reservation system today and it seems as if I can now create trips and add travellers. But it says my wife and daughter’s passes have expired despite us never using them. I am finding it very frustrating to use this system. I have written again to the support service. But as i never received a response to my last query, i am not expecting them to get back to me very speedily. But i am assuming i need valid passes to make reservations anywhere. So i think i will need to wait until i get a response. I just cant believe that there doesnt seem to be a phone number where you can ring someone up and ask a query (unless i am missing something).

James

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But i am assuming i need valid passes to make reservations anywhere. So i think i will need to wait until i get a response. I just cant believe that there doesnt seem to be a phone number where you can ring someone up and ask a query (unless i am missing something).

To book via Interrail, you need a valid pass or one that has not been activated yet. To book elsewhere, it varies from nothing required (ČD, ÖBB, DB, DSB, SNCF or SNCB by phone) till pass cover number required (e.g. SNCB via website, Eurostar by phone).