Solved

Irish in UK. What country of residence to choose?

• 18 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello,

Irish citizen living in the UK for the past 6 years.

I am excited to use Interrail for my first cross Europe trip, London to Croatia this summer.

I am wondering however, when applying for my Interrail, whether to say that my country of residence is UK or Ireland. My only ID is an Irish passport, however I want to use an outbound day of the global pass to use Eurostar to leave London.

I have no ID or residency papers for the UK, even though this is where I have lived for the last 6 years.

What do people recommend? If I choose UK but have only an Irish passport, will this cause problems? At the same time, if I choose Ireland but want to travel from my residency country of the UK, would this be possible?

Thank you and sorry for the confusion!

Matthew

icon

Best answer by mcadv 18 June 2022, 14:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As one could expect-its all in the rules, you can use country of Residence IF you have official proof that you are regisetred there. And yes, I am fully aware that UK is -as so often it wants to be different- not very complying with how on the continent this is done (and even in IE, I presume for all the polski)

Look-grab the chance, If your passpt does not show anything about living in UK-state it to be IE-this gives you the freedom for all GB during whole validity.

1, be very much aware of the dire situation re strikes and very sparse seats for €* on the way out-and in

2.more info on how to do: seat61.com (not primarily aimed at passes)-and the overveiw of seewulf on howtohelpyourself better to RESrv as this app

I have just finished a 10-days pass last week and not once was I asked to show ID-travelled in also 1(home)+9 countries.

i)

Look-grab the chance, If your passpt does not show anything about living in UK-state it to be IE-this gives you the freedom for all GB during whole validity.

Thank you for the advice! I am a big fan of the Man in Seat 61!

I think you are right, I will say my country of residence is Ireland since it matches the passport.

I would still be using one day’s travel as per the Interrail system (it could assume I flew to London, and then Eurostar to Brussels all in the same day), so I will not be loosing any days my Global Pass gives me.

I realise now the rules about inbound/outbound is meant to stop people using a global pass as a one country pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I realise now the rules about inbound/outbound is meant to stop people using a global pass as a one country pass.

With a One County Pass you can't travel at all in your country of residence, with a Global Pass you have 2 travel days in your country of residence and unlimited travel on your travel days in the remaining 32 countries of Interrail.

Sorry that is what I meant, the 2 day limit stops people using a 4 day global pass for example to do 4 days of travelling in their country of residence. Especially in the UK rail prices can be extremely expensive, so if the Global Pass allowed more than 2 days in country of residence I could see people attempting to buy it for purely domestic travel! Haha