Solved

Is the 4-day pass the most economical option and does 1st class include seat reservations?

I am looking at 4-day 1st class Global Eurail passes in early August for travel from southern Germany to Jung Frau and back. We will likely be staying in an Airbnb in Wengen BE for two nights and then traveling back to Germany. We are from the US and we will be visiting our son and his wife and 3 year old daughter. They are US citizens as well but working in Germany. First question: is the 4 day pass going to be the most economical option to serve our needs for all the travel and various trains we will need to board? I’m pretty sure when I checked several months ago, this was a practical option according to a representative of Eurail. Secondly, will my son’s family be precluded from getting Eurail passes since they reside in Germany? Lastly, how do we go about reserving seats or do we need to worry about that with 1st class?

icon

Best answer by MartinM 10 May 2022, 16:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Eurail only covers your route until Interlaken. From Interlaken you can buy a Jungfrau pass, covering the touristic railway lines (but this one is quite expensive as well).
Might be more economic for you to buy a single ticket from Deutsche Bahn (Sparpreis) until Interlaken and from there use the “Top of Europe Pass” from Jungfrau railways.

Your son’s family should buy Interrail instead of Eurail. But as mentioned, the Sparpreis might be the better option in this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As @MartinM says there is only a 25% discount on the journey from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch so buying a Eurail pass is probably not the cheapest way to get around.

Look at buying a Sparpreis-ticket from the German Bahn to Interlaken and then a pass from the Jungfrau railways.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-travel-pass/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OR only a Sparpreis Rturn to 1st stop in CH and buy the Swiss tourist rail pass-can also do in M at station. This gives you much more freedom to ride In CH-but that super expensive railway only disount!!!!