Solved

LNER London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverly Oct 2, 2023 (and back Oct 5) - Strike and Maint

• 28 September 2023
  • 4 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 10 replies

I’m using my Eurail pass for a trip from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverly on Oct 2 and returning October 5, 2023.   It looks like a strike and maintenance will cause “reduced services” and possibly some cancelled trains.  I made seat reservations via GWR a couple of months ago for both trips.  Typically, when there is a strike or maintenance causing service disruptions, do Eurail pass holders get bumped in favor of ticket holders who have paid full fair?   Or can I count on my seat reservations (which were free) to be valid?   If the train I am scheduled to take gets cancelled, but there are other trains operating, are my Eurail pass and seat reservations going to help me get on another train or are pass holders out of luck when strikes and maintenance curtail services?  I have first class global pass, does that help?  Any insights would be appreciated.   What a way to start my 3-month journey!

icon

Best answer by ralderton 28 September 2023, 17:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your reservation is still good, as long as the train is running. (Unless the train company doesn’t bother putting out the reservations on your train, or somebody else decides to sit in your seat and won’t move.)

Remember that (apart from sleepers), UK trains are reservation optional. And passengers with open tickets are welcome to board any service and find an empty seat, or stand. There is no ‘bump’ as such.

If your service is cancelled, you just have to try your luck at boarding an alternative train, and be prepared to stand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are no strikes on the 2nd or 5th. There might be a small amount of residual disruption on the 5th, due to the strike the previous day, but not much.

Thank you Raiderton!   You’re very helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No problem, It’s not always simple - especially when there’s strikes added into the mix! Don’t hesitate to ask on here if you have questions.