Solved

Lost personal ID in the middle of my trip

• 19 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello, 

I just lost my wallet with all my cards in it. 

I’m in the middle of using my 2month Interrail Global Pass (mobile pass, not paper), so I’d really like to know if I can still continue traveling with my passeport (even if the number doesn't match) or if I can, in that case, replace it ?

I have tried reaching out to the Interrail customer service but nobody responds, and I don’t even receive a confirmation email that my request has been sent. So, I’m a bit lost…

I’d really appreciate any help/information, Thank you!   

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 April 2023, 13:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I can only report that in 10 days of using it through BE, NL, DE, DK, SE at the start of the month I was never asked for ID once.

I don’t really think there should be any problem - the inspector on the 1430 from Stockport/Karlsruhe/Marseille is just interested in the fact that you have a ticket at all and not that the ID matches exactly with the detail on the ticket.

Presumably the intent of having it tied to ID (which is a good idea in general) is to prevent someone for using a pass for a bit, then giving it to their friend to use for a while.  If there was no control in place then there would be a resale market for Interrails.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The first thing is to report your loss/theft to the local police.

In recent years, I've only had to show my passport (which I use as ID for Interrail) during ticket checks a few times, and that was mostly in Switzerland. If you have a police report about your loss, then you can also show that when asked, which makes your case more credible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Within the Schengen zone, there’s usually no issue or any regular check. The only consistent passport check is at the German-Danish border (when travelling to Denmark), by the local police there. But they never check if it matches to your ticket .

If you get in touch with a consulate or an embassy in the country you’re travelling in, and you have a police report, they can give you replacement ID documents quickly. To put your mind at ease.

Thanks!! 

That’s helping me a lot :) I will probably make a police report and take it with me !