Solved

Luzern-Mialno P.Garibaldi train suggestion

Badge

Hi,

Can you guide me if I have to cover Mt.titlis trip(Luzern-Engelberg)  and take train to Milano same day (Preferably post 5pm  ? (June 7th)

I tried to look at train connections on both Euro rail planner & Sbb. Train timings are completely different (Some train has 3 changed on Euro rail app and showing 24mins transfer ) where as Sbb shows 1 train change and 4 mins transfer time.

we are 9 people . can you suggest train timings considering elders and children ?

Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 May 2023, 11:03

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are 3 options I’d consider. All times per SBB app

Option 1 :

• Luzern - Arth-Goldau 17:39 - 18:11 easy connection from track 6 to track 3
  • Arth-Goldau - Milano Centrale 18:18 - 20:50

Seat reservation for the second train : 9 x 11€

Option 2 :

• Luzern - Arth-Goldau 17:39 - 18:11
  • Arth-Goldau - Lugano 18:18 - 19:30
  • Lugano - Milano Centrale 20:02 - 21:17

Option 3 :

• Luzern - Arth-Goldau 17:18 - 17:45 same platform connection (easy)
  • Arth-Goldau - Lugano 17:49 - 18:58 guaranteed connection for a few min delay, can be stressful for 9 people because you need to go down a ramp and up another one
  • Lugano - Milano Centrale 19:02 - 20:17

Options 2 and 3 do not require any reservations so you can decide on the day which one you’d like to take. You’d arrive at 16:49 from Engelberg.

Btw Rail Planner doesn’t show connections under 5 minutes.

Badge

Hi ,

Option 2: I need to add 3 journeys correct? because i didn't find this journey none of the apps( Eurorail/sbb/oebb)

Badge

For example,

If I had taken14:18pm Luzern-Mliano P Garibaldi and reach Milano at 18:17 via Lugano , simple i just need to add this journey on respective travel day . 

I just wanted to check this connection on Sbb and oebb but its showing ticket is not available on Oebb website. ? also when I tried to save journey on oebb website instead of eurorail its asked to reserve seat for 3 euros to get guaranteed seat. Will seats will be available without adding extra options as well?

attached screenshots . Please check it

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I had taken14:18pm Luzern-Mliano P Garibaldi and reach Milano at 18:17 via Lugano , simple i just need to add this journey on respective travel day . 

I just wanted to check this connection on Sbb and oebb but its showing ticket is not available on Oebb website. ?

That's what ÖBB show when they can't sell a ticket for the journey. Also, your screenshot shows only trains that cannot be reserved.

also when I tried to save journey on oebb website instead of eurorail its asked to reserve seat for 3 euros to get guaranteed seat. Will seats will be available without adding extra options as well?

Seat reservations in Switzerland are sometimes possible, but are a waste of money. Just board and find a seat.

Badge

so which option do I need to select ?

shall i simply add journey on eurorail app even though its different from oebb ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you travel without reservations, then you just add your journey to the rail planner app. If you don't find the trains you need, then try:

• Go into the filter and reduce the minimum change time
  • Use a “via” station if you need to force the route
  • Request the trains you need separately.
  • If you still don't find a train, then add it manually into the app.
Badge

I think my question was not clear.

what does it mean by ticket not available in Oebb website ? I added my journeys on eurorail app to travel from Luzern- milano via Lugano.

but i just cross checked timings on Sbb and oebb. but lugano-mialno its shows no tickets available. what does it mean ? i wont get seats to sit because we are 9 people. just wanted to be mindful before booking anything.. apologies for too many questions

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tickets not available on ÖBB means that seats cannot be reserved on that train. 

Simply show early and you'll find seats :)

Badge

Need a suggestion. 

if i take 08:10am train from lucerne -engelberg to cover Mt titlis will i be able to catch 16:18 train Luzern-Lugano ? 

Luzern 16:18pm - lugano 17:58

Lugano 19:02- Milano P Garibaldi 20:32 ( I added this journeys on the eurorail app)

or better to go for paragliding activity at Interlaken ?

Please guide me..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Titlis is totally doable yes, you need to leave the top at around 2pm to make the 3pm train

Interlaken is too far away.

The 19:02 train arrives at 20:17 in Milano Centrale, the main railway station. Then it is a 15-min walk to Porta Garibaldi if needed

Badge

You are the best :) you always helped me.. 

Just for your Information: The 16:18 Train from Lucerne is one of the few ones on this route, that runs directly to Milano Centrale (without the change in Lugano):

Arrival at Milano Centrale at 19.50.

Badge

But it’s chargeble?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes for the part in Italy you need to add a 11€ seat reservation (on tickets.oebb.at) for this one

Badge

Yeah I checked this connection but it’s 13 euro for seat reservation so booked the one which I had shared earlier . 

is that train connection is good if we go for a Mt Titlis trip ? We will take earliest train to Engelberg . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

All connections are good. The hourly train from Engelberg arrives at xx:49