Solved

Malaga to Paris; trying to include an overnight journey.

• 26 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Planning a train journey from Malaga to Paris for 26th May and am trying to include a night journey so I can arrive in Paris in before noon if possible…

But no matter how I slice/dice it, cannot  find a suitable night journey component to include. I have a Global Eurail Pass and would not mind using extra travel days or even a detour (Nice-Ville??) if necessary…

Can someone experienced on this route share any suggestions? I have downloaded the Renfe app too, by the way... but can't put a night jet route in it.

Regards,

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 26 April 2023, 18:06

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Rail Planner is not a reliable planner unfortunately. Bahn.de is way more reliable

There are sleepers from La Tour de Carol (Pyrenees) or Cerbère (Mediterranean) to Paris

Both stations are easily accessible by regional train from Barcelona on 2 scenic railways

Nice idea and you'll only use one pass day :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You need to get to Barcelona relatively early for the connections.

The connecting train to Latour De Carol leaves at 14.31, or to Cerbere at 15.16.

The night train is SNCF not Nightjet, you can book couchettes from Interrail, there are seats but Interrail do not show them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

To Cerbère this connection should work :

- Malaga - Madrid 08:58 - 11:56 10€ seat

- Madrid - Gerona 12:30 - 16:28 10€ seat

- Gerona - Cerbère 16:48 - 17:56

- Cerbère - Paris-Austerlitz 18:32 - 06:55

Buy seat reservations for the first 2 legs when you arrive in Spain and it shouldn't be a problem

Userlevel 1
Badge

Many thanks @thibcabe for breaking it down so clearly... just one little confusion I have... 

Is Cerbère (Spain) any different from Cerbère (France)? 

Reason I'm asking is that I'm getting very different timelines when searching between Girona and the two Cerbère, French vs Spanish.

Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

They’re the same station but as it’s a border point, they have 2 “names”. A Spanish one-country pass would be valid until Cerbère (Spain) and a French one from Cerbère (France)

Where are you looking for timetables ? Rail Planner isn’t very reliable, on the other hand bahn.de (very reliable for all of Europe) should show the same schedule as mine. Let me know

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

They’re the same station but as it’s a border point, they have 2 “names”. A Spanish one-country pass would be valid until Cerbère (Spain) and a French one from Cerbère (Spain)

There is still Portbou(fr) but RENFE may have decided that Spanish passes are valid until Cerbère in their trains.

What's worse, though, is that the app doesn't seem to know that Cerbère (Spain) and Cerbère (France) are in fact the same station. For a journey from Girona to Cerbère (France) it will let you change in Portbou, even if the train is continuing to Cerbère (Spain)…

@Mukhammad @Camilo. this is another problem, comparable to the recent issue with Storlien.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is the current full Spanish timetable to Cerbere.

https://rodalies.gencat.cat/web/.content/02_Horaris/horaris/R11.pdf

The accuracy of these lines on external planners ranges from poor to non-existant as they just do not properly supply the data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

They’re the same station but as it’s a border point, they have 2 “names”. A Spanish one-country pass would be valid until Cerbère (Spain) and a French one from Cerbère (Spain)

There is still Portbou(fr) but RENFE may have decided that Spanish passes are valid until Cerbère in their trains.

What's worse, though, is that the app doesn't seem to know that Cerbère (Spain) and Cerbère (France) are in fact the same station. For a journey from Girona to Cerbère (France) it will let you change in Portbou, even if the train is continuing to Cerbère (Spain)…

@Mukhammad @Camilo. this is another problem, comparable to the recent issue with Storlien.

I will report this now. I’ll keep you updated.