Solved

Mobile Pass Activation for Senior Pass

• 18 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi, We will arrive in the EU on December 19th. (1 Senior and 2 Adults). I activated the mobile pass for the two adults on December 19th, but the Senior Passenger's birthday is on December 21st (60th). I am unable to activate the pass because it will only be valid on December 21st. I must have missed or forgotten that her first trip begins on her birthday. We paid for a seat reservation on the 20th of December. Is it possible for her to board the train and we will just pay the difference or a rail fare? Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by ralderton 18 December 2023, 13:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where is the journey on the 20th?

I think you’ll have to buy a ticket for travel that day. She won’t be eligible for the Senior pass until the 21st.

If you post the journey you’re making, and the time, we can have a look for the best solution. It’s unlikely the seat reservation you’ve already bought will be of any use I’m afraid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

What journeys are you making before the senior pass will become useable on the 21st?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Another option would be to exchange the Senior pass for an Adult pass (will cost €15 exchange fee, plus the difference in price) then she can use the reservation.

Obviously the adult pass will cost more, so it might be cheaper just to buy a new ticket on the 20th.

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/ordering-info/refund-exchange-policy

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Looking through your previous posts, I guess you’re doing a day trip Paris to Strasbourg on the 20th? 0716 departure, 2026 return.

You can get a ticket on the outbound train - €130 for first class, but unfortunately the 2026 return is completely full. There is a slightly earlier departure on Ouigo (low-cost operator) at 1948. The Eurail passholders can’t travel on that, but the Senior could travel alone (€58, second class only).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The pass exchange will probably be the cheapest option, even if you bought the pass during the Black Friday sale and now have to pay full price.

Regular tickets would cost at least 115€ + 55€ and the person won't travel with you. Meanwhile exchanging passes might cost 150€ but you get to stay together (reservations remain valid as they're tied to a name, not a pass number).