Solved

Month in Germany

• 16 October 2023
  • 4 replies

We will be staying at our home base in Heidelberg, Germany for a month and would like to travel by train to surrounding countries. What kind of pass for 2 seniors would we need? Looking at a Global pass.Thanks 

icon

Best answer by ralderton 16 October 2023, 23:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How much travelling do you think you would do in that month? And to which countries?

You have a couple of options:

A ‘continuous pass’ that’s valid every day for the whole month would $677 each. It’s expensive, but the benefit is that you’ve paid once, and don’t have worry about how many days you’re using up.

Or you can get a Flexipass - which gives you a certain number of travel days to use. Eg 5 days for $286, or 15 days for $499. You can spread these days out however you like over the month (or two months, for some passes.)

Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands are great for Eurail travel, because you can generally jump on a train without fanfare.

In Italy, France and Spain, you need to make reservations for most fast/ long-distance trains.

-

It’s also worth knowing about the Deutschland ticket. For €49 a month, you have access local and regional trains within Germany (but not the faster or longer distance trains). This could be useful if you do a lot of local trips and don’t want to use a pass day, and it also covers all your city transport.

We are seniors age 70. Is there a Bahncard that would be good for us? When i look at the Bahncards they say up to 64 years old . Can I use a any of these cards? This is what I found. The BahnCard is available to all travellers between the ages of 27 and 64 and this one. What about 70 years old?

• The BahnCard for senior citizens is available for people aged 65 and over. Can’t seem to find this card for seniors. 
  • Your help is really appreciated. Thans so much!
  • Linda
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't know much about Bahncards I'm afraid. I know they give 25% or 50% off regular fares, if you pay the annual fee for the card. It might be useful if you plan a lot of travel, and don't have a pass. 

Somebody else might be able to give you some tips.

I was talking about the Deutschland ticket. Good for unlimited travel on local and regional trains, including buses, trams, metros etc in the cities, for €49 a month. You can get across Germany on this ticket, off you don't mind taking slow trains.

It's a bit fiddly to buy for one calendar month, but it can be done.

Details for both here: https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-germany.htm

Thanks so much, very helpful!!