Solved

multiple trip

Confused about the use of trips. I have a  2 month pass and have created a trip which I intend to share with my wife. However, I intend to make another shorter trip independently; the app has a + feature for multiple trips, but will not allow me to connect the new trip to my pass ( only option is connect to paper pass?). What is going on? Can I create and connect multiple trips in app or not?

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 8 February 2023, 15:47

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You’re limited to link only one trip to a pass.

Which does not mean you cannot interrupt your journey for a few days/weeks. It’s perfectly possible to pause and continue later on for the shorter independent trip. It just need to be registered in the trip you will be using for the bulk of your  main journeys.

Ok; thanks for clarifying. In which case, what is the point of the multiple trips function? Also, to share the main trip, do I create it on my device, then share with my wife?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It’s just slightly confusing terminology. Best to see the tab “My Trip” in your app, as a diary or logbook where you can register the rough planning of all your trips connected to a pass. And where you add the journeys/trains you are going to take to your pass. So One diary per pass.

To share, you best fill out a rough outline of the trains you plan to take on one device under a trip. When finished, tap the tree buttons on the top right corner of the app, and select “share as link”. This will generate a link that you can share with your travel companion(s).

Note, that if changes happen under the way, this does not update on the other device!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The multiple pass option is for those who purchase more than one pass or when you add a second users pass to your device. As above each pass added to a device requires a separate TRIP. 

If you add a fellow passenger’s pass to your device the app will ask which trip or trips you want trains seen in the planner added, so you can add to both in one click.

Thanks; that clarifies. One final point. My wife will have pass on her own device, but will only travel with me. I will share my trip as explained. Will she still need to create & name her own trip? Or will the one I link to be sufficient to activate her pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is simple - each pass requires its own Trip. Creating a trip does not activate your pass.

It might help to consider the outline process of Interrailing with a mobile pass on a device - this is irrespective of whether 2 passes are on the same device or 2 separate ones.

First you have a planner. This is just one of many planners to use to work out routings and timings. Although not suitable for detailed planning it does give information on reservation and supplement requirements.

Once you identify a train you plan to travel on you can transfer it to your TRIP, but as in previous posts this is only a wish list and can be added or removed with no consequence.

Each pass has its own trip and must have any train you travel on added to the trip no later than boarding. You may find valid trains that are not showing in the planner. These can be added manually, again right up to boarding. 

Before boarding your first train you transfer the train details from each trip into the attached pass by operating the slider. For the first train of the day this creates a travel day in your pass. It also creates a QR code for that day and adds the train details below the QR code. This is now your valid ticket to travel. If you have done it in advance and the train is cancelled you simply add any new train to your pass and add it to the pass. You can deactivate the first train just by reversing the slider.

As you travel on further trains in that travel day you continue to transfer them from the Trip and they will be added to the list below the QR code.

Finally if the train has mandatory reservations you will need both the valid pass (ticket) and separate proof of reservation (maybe a pdf or printed version depending on the operator policy).

So you will see that the 2 passes can be loaded on one common device or 2 separate devices but each needs its own trip to transfer trains to the specific pass for travel.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Ok; thanks for clarifying. In which case, what is the point of the multiple trips function? Also, to share the main trip, do I create it on my device, then share with my wife?

It’s confusing alright.

For Joe Average who pretty much makes one Interrail trip ever there is no use case at all for multiple trips.

For those who maybe make one every few years they can(must) use multiple trips.  However, if it was years since the last trip then there’s really little or no value to the user in keeping the details of the old trip.

I’m sure there are some people who go on multiple Interrails and so need multiple trips, but I imagine that they are far outnumbered by the folks who get confused with the concept of trips as implemented by the Interrail folks.

See here for a previous discussion -

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks; that clarifies. One final point. My wife will have pass on her own device, but will only travel with me. I will share my trip as explained. Will she still need to create & name her own trip? Or will the one I link to be sufficient to activate her pass?

Yes, she will need to create her own trip.

No, you cannot send her details of your trip, or export it from your phone or whatever.

No, I don’t understand the logic or why they can’t implement this functionality.  It seems a very obvious thing to have.  When you book an airline flight (or a boat trip, or a train journey) on the operators site they don’t make you do a separate booking for each person.

Imagine traveling with a family with 2 or 3 kids and having to maintain 4 or 5 versions of an identical itinerary.  Chaos is guaranteed.  All you need is 1 person to forget to add a journey, or put it in with the wrong date and you can see the fun at the ticket barriers or with the ticket inspectors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No, you cannot send her details of your trip, or export it from your phone or whatever.

Yes you can, as @BrendanDB explained above.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

When you click that option you get a link like this which displays your route on a map.  Having received that map there’s nothing the recipient can do with it other than look at it.  They can’t import it to their app.

OK, technically you can send someone these details, but for the purposes of the original poster (and the sense the question was asked in) it’s not as much use as an actual trip as defined in the app - a detailed itinerary that can be reused.  It’s just a picture.

[edit] the text at the bottom says you can use the app “to see the full itinerary, map, statistics and more for this trip”  If this is possible then this answers the original question, but it’s still not clear how the second person can use this link to import the trip to their app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Just to be clear - I very much want this function to work as I also want to share a trip definition with the people traveling with me.  I just haven’t seen any links so far that show how it is done, or any posts that confirm that it can be (and has actually been) done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, she will need to create her own trip.

No, I don’t understand the logic or why they can’t implement this functionality.  It seems a very obvious thing to have.  When you book an airline flight (or a boat trip, or a train journey) on the operators site they don’t make you do a separate booking for each person.

Imagine traveling with a family with 2 or 3 kids and having to maintain 4 or 5 versions of an identical itinerary.  Chaos is guaranteed.  All you need is 1 person to forget to add a journey, or put it in with the wrong date and you can see the fun at the ticket barriers or with the ticket inspectors.

The best way for groups/families who will do all their travelling together is to put all passes onto one device. Then as you identify planned journeys you can decide which trips you want to add them to. That way there are no mistakes or forgotten additions.

However you cannot manage additions to the pass as a group. Each pass has to have the train added from its own dedicated trip.

If only one of the group wants to do a separate trip he will need to have the device with the pass on it.

For those who remember paper passes the principle is exactly the same - If several people were travelling together you had to add every train to every pass. One person could physically add them and hold all the passes or everybody could keep and manage their own pass.