Solved

Night trains

• 20 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

First time in the forum here,

I tried to book night trains for our 2024 summer travel 

Yet, I don’t seem to be able to book the train from Vienna to Venice for June 23 2024. The calendar became greyed out after June 16 2024. I did read on the Eurail Night train page that the night train from Munich to Rome is not run from June 12th through August 9th, 2024. I see no blackout dates for the night train from Vienna to Venice, so not sure what happened. I was under the impression that the new train schedule was released on December 10, but does it mean we will have to wait a bit closer to 180 days for reserving the cabins??

Thank you

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 20 December 2023, 00:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Bookings for night trains should open 6 months in advance but in reality it's often closer to 3-4 months depending on overnight works, on countries timetables and multiple other factors.

I've not heard of another cancellation of this night train due to works next summer (but I haven't looked either). If it's similar to summer 2023 both night trains from Munich or Vienna will be cancelled as works took place between Florence and Rome (mainline). You might be able to get off at Bologna at 6-7am before taking a high-speed train to Rome (2h). This is still speculation though !

I'd wait a few weeks to get definite information.

Badge

Thank you so much for the reply.

I understand the route from Munich or Vienna to Rome might be undergoing some road work/repair. With that in mind, I searched for the route from Vienna to Venice, but still shows greyed out after the 16th of June. 

Good to know that the night train  reservation usually becomes available 3 to 4 moths before the travel dates. I will keep my eyes on it.

Thanks again