Solved

Nighttrains - included or not?

• 20 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone! This summer I’m traveling through east/south Europe by train for the first time. I’ve planned every train already, but I’m confused about the night trains. Are they included in the interrail pass or not? I have a pass for 21 days. 

For example, the train from Zurrich to Utrecht - in my trip it says I have to pay, but when I search it’s included (see pictures). 

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Robin 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 June 2022, 00:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please don't use the app for planning. It's not reliable enough for that purpose (offline and only about 1 update/month). Use national planners and for international planning, use the DB website or the DB Navigator app (updated twice/week).

We see an example of the unreliability in your screenshots: both trains should have the same departure time in Zurich (the correct one is 20:59 on 31 July). The IC are the seating coaches and the NJ are the couchettes and sleepers. All in the same train.

This night train is included. The best way to book it is via ÖBB. For a seat in the IC part, use the "Seat only” option (3€). For NJ with couchettes and sleepers, do NOT use the "Seat only” option but add the "Interrail / Eurail” discount and then look for normal tickets.

Thank you!! 😊

Does that also apply for “my trip” when I have to assign my pass to a specific trip when I go on a train? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does that also apply for “my trip” when I have to assign my pass to a specific trip when I go on a train? 

What do you mean, does what apply?
In any case, you always have to save the trains you use in My Trip and then add them to My Pass. And that's the only thing the planner in the app should be used for, unfortunately.

I was wondering if I had to save trains I use on the website in my trip instead of the app, but you answered my question, thanks! :)