Solved

No train in my trip from Poland to Germany in the past two months

It seems that you can’t book a train from Olsztyn in Poland to Berlin in Germany with Interrail. For the past two months, the interface has told me that “maybe” there was no seats available anymore for Pass owners. But also that I needed to wait 30 days before the trip scheduled date for trains in Poland to become available. Now I am 30 days before the trip, and still I get the same message. It would be more honest to say that they don’t support some trips. Which makes the Pass much less advantageous.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 25 July 2023, 00:38

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no direct train from Olsztyn to Berlin.

You can book domestic Polish journeys online on intercity.pl, from 30 days in advance.

Trains from Poland to Berlin can't be booked online. Just go to a ticket office in Germany or Poland. You can also book online to Rzepin, the last station in Poland. That is not entirely legal, but the staff don't seem to care a lot. In Germany, no reservation is needed.

If that doesn't work for you, them please mention your travel date and departure time.

In fact, Interrail does not seem to be able to make any reservations for trains in Poland. This is a big problem for me as I was planning to spend some time in Poland. Any way to reach to an agent to give advice here, instead of going through their bots?

@rvdborgt thanks for your answer, they list indeed trips with 1 or 2 changes from Olsztyn to Berlin, but fail to state that these can’t be booked on Interrail. And it’s the same apparently for all other trips in Poland. Which makes buying through Interrail clearly more expensive than if I had booked my tickets separately. They claim to support trips to Poland, how come?

And the Deutsch Bahn allows you to book that same trip from Olsztyn to Berlin. So I really don’t understand how Interrail works for Poland?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

They claim to support trips to Poland, how come?

Since Polish railways (PKP) introduced their new reservation system at the beginning of last year, there have been repeated problems booking trains in/from Poland anywhere else than via PKP. So that includes via Interrail. Sometimes it works via Interrail, but then still reservations can only be sent via the post, with a €9 postage fee on top of the €2 booking fee and the reservation itself. So indeed, booking reservations for Poland is currently not recommended via Interrail.

As I said, you can book domestic reservations for Poland on intercity.pl 30 days in advance and for international reservations go to a ticket office (possible from 60 days in advance). It's usually not a problem just a few days in advance.

Thank you. I think this should be visible on the website of Interrail.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I made a reservation via PKP for an intercity train within Poland on my smartphone and the cost of this turned out to be 1 złoty (€0,23) and I had to laugh. Once you know how to do it, it is not difficult. 

Olsztyn in Poland to Berlin in Germany turns out to be 37€ for two, and fast trains between big cities like Cracovia and Varsovia are also more expensive. In any case, I have no choice but to book it aside, but if I had known that, I would not have paid for Interrail Pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Olsztyn in Poland to Berlin in Germany turns out to be 37€ for two, and fast trains between big cities like Cracovia and Varsovia are also more expensive. In any case, I have no choice but to book it aside, but if I had known that, I would not have paid for Interrail Pass.

Why would you buy a normal ticket if you have a pass?

because you can’t book just seats on this particular train from Deutsch Bahn, apparently you need to buy tickets to book the seat reservations as well. Plus I don’t know if any of these is included in the Interrail Pass, since I’m getting them on the side, how can I know?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

because you can’t book just seats on this particular train from Deutsch Bahn, apparently you need to buy tickets to book the seat reservations as well.

Not all reservations can be booked online. As I had already written. Although I gave hints how you could book online for a journey to Berlin. On the other hand, if you want to book reservations online, then you should not travel to Romania.

Plus I don’t know if any of these is included in the Interrail Pass, since I’m getting them on the side, how can I know?

Checking the rail planner app would be a start.