Solved

Obtaining the pass/paper pack

• 27 September 2022
  • 14 replies

I want to purchase an Interrail pass that I’ll begin using from Wednesday 5 October. Problem is, my phone won’t support the Mobile App (below iOS 13) and obtaining the pass physically may be a logistical issue…

I’m only at an address in London until Tuesday 4 October and I’m booked on the Eurostar that day to Paris (booked and paid for separately/already). I don’t know the address I’ll be staying at in Paris at this point, so can’t order the Pass as I have nowhere for it to be sent at this point. The site indicates that the mail could take 3-8 days to arrive.

What options do I have?

Can I purchase the pass in-person anywhere in London in the next few days, or in Paris when I arrive on Tuesday 4 October? And if the latter is possible, can I begin to use the pass the following day, or possibly start from the same day?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 3 October 2022, 13:13

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt@Al_G Do you know if it is possible to buy a paper pass in London or Paris?

Thanks for the response, but is that a rephrasing/simplification of my question aimed at specific users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the response, but is that a rephrasing/simplification of my question aimed at specific users?

Yes. I tagged those who hopefully can help you. 

Yes. I tagged those who hopefully can help you. 

Thanks AnnaB!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In London: maybe at a travel agent. Certainly not at any station's ticket office.

In Paris: no idea. IIRC there was a similar question a few months ago but since the search function in this community is "suboptimal” (politely put), it's very hard to find back the post.

The best is to look for a London-based travel agent who sells Eurail or ask SNCF (e.g. via their social media) if they sell Eurail passes and if so, where.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

David, I see youre GB-this means NO EUrail (this is anyway an eternal thing to confuse most Brits who think that funny island seems to be not EURope). but INTERrail-which means you get only 2 days to also travel in home country. There are several UK based other agencies who specialize in difficult train tickets like this and who promise next day-or day after, mail delivery. Check seat61.com and 1 that srpings in my mind is FFesttiniog travel or the like-but I guess due to sky-high rents there is noone that holds a permanent staffed office in LON.

IF you had simply asked a bit earlier-in BRU/south, where the other branch of €* ends, it is quite possible to buy one on the spot (with mostly long waits for your turn)-but then also ride 1 would not be possible without the pass!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you already have a ticket to Paris, then you can just buy an Interrail pass in Paris. All big stations there should sell it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/

Is UK based and offers quick delivery, normally 2 working days but has a note advising of extended times due to UK mail strike action, not sure if this is still an issue.

Had you asked this question yesterday morning it would have been an easy option but as it is you are right on the limit of their revised delivery times.

As far as I am aware there is nowhere in UK that can issue paper passes in person so above is best you can get.

My alternative suggestion would be ask around your family/friends for someone with a newish spare smartphone that you could use to load interrail app and pass, preferably an android phone, you can always run it off wifi or mobile hotspot from your phone.

Thanks rvdborgt, mcadv and Al_G!

I have just arranged an address in Paris now when I arrive next week (a friends place), so I will order online tonight and have it sent to that address. Hopefully it should arrive on or before Tuesday (4th).

Does anyone know where the passes/packs are dispatched from? On the continent somewhere I’d guess. 5 working days should easily do it, but is the “Interrail” organisation contactable if the mail is delayed?

As a last resort, I would purchase from a station in Paris as rvdborgt suggested. Thanks again for all your helpful thoughts and suggestions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK, Interrail passes are dispatched from some place in Ireland.

If I were you I'd NOT order online but buy the pass from a ticket office in Paris. You'll be sure that you'll have the pass (which is not the case when ordering online at short notice, even if they say it will be delivered by a certain date) and you won't pay for any postage fees.

I’m now leaning more to your suggestion, rvdborgt (purchase on-the-spot in Paris).

But one more question… can the pass be activated the same day as purchased?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

They are dispatched from whichever company you order them from.

eurail.com/interrail.eu that run this site and oversee the interrail/eurail scheme dispatch from Netherlands using PostNL which will mean the national post company in most delivery countries.

The site I linked is UK based (selling interrail products on behalf of the UK rail operators group) and dispatch to UK via Royal Mail and EU by DHL courier.

If you are going to be in Paris, able to buy in person from a rail station that can issue them, then perhaps this is a better idea and forget about ordering online.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The pass can be dated for whichever date you choose including the day of purchase.

Hello! You can have it shipped to your hotel address, just make sure that someone signs upon delivery. if you consider opting for a mobile Pass, you can also use a tablet if your phone does not support the latest app version.