Skip to main content

I'm looking at 2 tickets / Siracusa to Bologna (13.35 - 07.07 ); 

I'm not keen on sharing a 4 berth; and am too old to sit up all night in a couchette

the supplement for the Private Sleeper is 125  . . I take it both my husband and I have to pay 125?

If that is the case, I’ll look at another route with a hotel stop over

Which is your travel date? I couldn’t find this connection on any timetable.

AFAIK if you have a second class pass, only 4-bed couchette and seats are available. With a first class pass, you can also book the (private) sleeper (or has this rule changed again?).

use https://partners.italiarail.com/default?force_pass=true&aff=EURAIL to book pass reservations.

Otherwise, normal fares often are not that expensive (or even cheaper than the passholder fare). You also get more offerings as the Excelsior category isn’t available for passholders. In case you wan’t to save a travel day of your pass.

Note that a couchette doesn’t mean sitting up all night. A couchette is a more basic bed, but it’s still a full flat bed, usually in a compartment that converts from sitting. 

As above, you might find a full ticket including sleeper reservation is cheaper than a reservation to use with your pass.  Mention your date, and we can advise.

OK  . .thanks for taking the time.

I still prefer the privacy of a more private overnight space  . whether I can still climb up to the top bunk is another question!

I know what the 4 berth cabin is like as we were misplaced into one on a Bologna / Syracusa trip in 2023.

(The chief realised and moved us)

We travel London - Paris 5th Oct; have an overnight in Paris, 5th Oct - then heading to Napoli / 08.18 - 22.03

Stay in Napoli 3 or 4 days - then  train to Syracuse.

Its the long haul back to London that is the issue 

We can either come from Syracuse 22nd Oct / 10.25 - 19.18; overnight in Naples then take a rather exhausting day train - 08.55 / Napoli to all the way to Paris 23.14; 

That would mean overnight in Paris for Eurostar next day

or Syracusa to Zurich sleeper, 21st Oct - stay over in Zurich to catch  07.45 Paris train - that lets us take Eurostar 23rd and be home same day

point to bear in mind - we’re 72 and 83  - and even though we pack lightly, we look for the least number of transfer

There’s no direct sleeper from Sicily to Zurich. But for the sleeper to Milan, you can book a private 2-person cabin for €112 total with your pass.

You could get to Zurich or Basel, then Paris on the 22nd. You could even get all the way to London if you don’t mind a long travel day.

I tried booking these sleepers but the system fails... maybe try calling DB? They can sell Italian night trains for sure.

I might get off in Bologna so you can take the convenient Strasbourg - Lille TGV.

- arrival in Bologna at 07:07 + delay

- any Frecciarossa Bologna - Milano Centrale (leave some margin)

- EC Milano Centrale - Basel SBB 10:10 - 14:56

- TER Basel SBB - Strasbourg 15:21 - 16:39 -> very comfortable old carriages

- TGV Strasbourg - Lille-Europe 17:01 - 20:16

- plenty of time for a break and security/passport controls

- Eurostar Lille-Europe - London St. Pancras 21:33 - 21:57

There’s no direct sleeper from Sicily to Zurich. But for the sleeper to Milan, you can book a private 2-person cabin for €112 total with your pass.

You could get to Zurich or Basel, then Paris on the 22nd. You could even get all the way to London if you don’t mind a long travel day.

Brolling. Much appreciated help 🙏 

Brilliant.  Much appreciated.

All very helpful..can I build on this thread...I can't climb onto a bunk anymore...can we book a 4 berth for 2 person occupancy?