Solved

outbound/ inbound

• 9 April 2023
  • 6 replies

I might be in trouble here…  Have planned outbound overnight from Inverness to London and then Eurostar London to Paris and beyond, then inbound back through Paris to London and overnight London to Inverness.  Having activated the pass and adding journeys to my pass it says I can’t make the final journey, I guess because my outbound one covers 2 days.  Is that right / any way out of this …. Already bought Cal Sleeper reservations?!  Thanks, John

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 9 April 2023, 16:48

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only use your Interrail in the UK on 2 travel days. The night train leaves from Inverness way before 23:00 (= midnight CET, after which a new travel day starts), so you'd need 2 travel days this way to get out of the UK. In the other direction it's only 1 travel day because you board the night train on the same day as you use Eurostar.

A way around this would be to use Interrail only from the first stop after 23:00 and use a normal ticket to get there. Not sure if that's possible on the night train (none of the planners show e.g. Inverness to Perth for this evening, or Inverness to Dunkeld tomorrow, using the night train); in that case, use an earlier train.

The next problem is that the app doesn't adhere to the conditions of use, which stipulate that travel days are from 0:00-23:59 CET. You can circumvent that by e.g. entering midnight as the departure time from the first station after 23:00.

Finally, book Eurostar ASAP.

Thanks.  I have booked Eurostar already, that’s partly why I’m worried that it might fall apart.  As you say, can change it to eg Perth to London (haven’t quite grasped the entering the time as midnight yet but the penny May drop) but then need to ask if and how I can buy tickets on the sleeper departure to get to Perth..  maybe I can ask at the station 🙏😬

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you say, can change it to eg Perth to London (haven’t quite grasped the entering the time as midnight yet but the penny May drop)

You'd have to enter it as a manual journey.

but then need to ask if and how I can buy tickets on the sleeper departure to get to Perth..  maybe I can ask at the station 🙏😬

You can always do that. I recall having seen in another discussion that you can use the seats in the evening, and that they can be booked from 2 weeks in advance, but I can't find that on the Caledonian sleeper website.

I’ll go to the station and ask.  We’ve already got add-on twin sleeper reservations from Inverness so I’m hoping wouldn’t have to sit in seats to Perth, but we shall see.  Thanks again…

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On weekdays, there seems to be a train from Inverness at 20:23, that you could to use to Dunkeld if you can't use the seats of the night train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

As you say, can change it to eg Perth to London (haven’t quite grasped the entering the time as midnight yet but the penny May drop)

You'd have to enter it as a manual journey.

but then need to ask if and how I can buy tickets on the sleeper departure to get to Perth..  maybe I can ask at the station 🙏😬

You can always do that. I recall having seen in another discussion that you can use the seats in the evening, and that they can be booked from 2 weeks in advance, but I can't find that on the Caledonian sleeper website.

You can’t use the seats (or get reservations as they are reservation compulsory) on the sleeper for local journeys within Scotland with the exception of the Fort William - Glasgow portion.