Solved

Paris to Berlin

• 21 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • Full steam ahead
  • 30 replies

Travelling to Paris to Berlin in September with wife. We have Eurail Global Pass ‘15 days in 2 months’.

Reserved seats at Eurail. At time of reservation, I could only reserve the journey leg from Paris to Frankfurt but not Frankfurt to Berlin leg of journey. Change over at Frankfurt HBF is 20 minutes and that at Erfurt HBF is 27 minutes. Eurail charges €8 seat reservation fee per passenger for Frankfurt to Erfurt, and another €8 per passenger for Erfurt to Berlin. I understand European trains are not always on time. I read that if you have a single booking from point A to B, you missed a connection due to train delay you are able to catch the next train by just getting on the train. However, say if you bought the a ticket from Paris to Frankfurt with Eurail (my case Eurail got the reservations via Belgium National Rail) and Frankfurt to Berlin with another company (not Eurail or Belgium Rail) you have to pay for the Frankfurt to Berlin ticket agin.

Questions:

1. Is there enough time for change over at Franfurt (20 minutes) and Erfurt (27 minutes)?
  2. I understand European trains are not always on time. I read that if you have a single booking from point A to B, you missed a connection due to train delay you are able to catch the next train by just getting on the train. However, say if you bought the a ticket from Paris to Frankfurt with Eurail (my case Eurail got the reservations via Belgium National Rail) and Frankfurt to Berlin with another company (not Eurail or Belgium Rail) you have to pay for the Frankfurt to Berlin ticket agin.Is that true?
  3. Considering the possibility of missed connection, some suggested not to reserve seats for the Frankfurst to Berlin leg and just pop on whichever next train you can connect. Is that true?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 June 2023, 07:34

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. That's enough time. Should anything go wrong, just take the next train; use the DB Navigator app to find alternative connections.
  2. It doesn't make a difference where you bought your reservations. Just note that optional reservations via Eurail (such as in Germany) are very expensive. DB charges just €4.90 per journey for reservations 2nd class instead of (in the case) 2 x €8 from Eurail. In 1st class, you can often get free reservations via ÖBB.
  3. You could do that. I usually check a week or so in advance on the DB website how busy the trains will be and only then decide whether to book a reservation.
Badge

Hi Rvdborgt,

Thank you very much for the reply and advice.

Kind regards

Badge

Decided in favour of seat reservation rather than not.

We will be travelling in ICE 1651 (apparently an ICE-T train) from Frankfurt to Erfurt. From Erfurt to Berlin we will be on either ICE 1092 (apparently ICE-1 train) or ICE 92 (apparently an ICE-T train). Trying to get window and forward facing seats. Someone mentioned “The direction of the train is right to left. The round side of the seat symbol shows its orientation (left = forward, right = backward).”. Other talk about “to look at the table seats for orientation”.

I think I understand what was said but not sure. Hope to get clearer explanation and direction how to get a forward facing window seats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can book seat reservations through bahn.com and use the seating map there. Getting a window won't be complicated.

However you cannot know the train direction AFAIK.

There should also be direct trains from Frankfurt to Berlin, it might be a better option even if you have to wait some time in Frankfurt.

Looks like there is 13:53 - 18:26

Badge

Hi Thicabe,

Once again. Thank you for the reply.

The Paris to Berlin journey on 17/09/23 we selected on Eurail website and paid sea reservation for the Paris to Frankfurt leg of journey is as follow:

• Leaving Paris Est on 09:06
  • Arrive at Frankfurt Hbf at 12:59
  • Leaving Frankfurt at 13:19
  • Arrive at Erfurt at 15:38
  • Leaving Erfurt at 16:05
  • Arriving at Berlin Hbf at 17:53

I bought seat reservation for the Paris to Frankfurt leg of journey through Eurail. Eurail in turn sourced the reservation from Belgium National Rail.

Am I restricted to buying seat reservation for train leaving Frankfurt at 13:19 and train leaving Erfurt at 16:05 only per the above Paris to Berlin train schedule for which I reserved my Paris to Frankfurt leg of journey at Eurail. Am I allow to travel on any train from Frankfurt to Berlin and taking a direct train from Frankfurt to Berlin as recommended by you and if one is available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

With a pass, you can take almost any train you want in Germany.

You can make 20 seat reservations as you want on different trains. Reservations, are only optional in Germany. 15 minutes after departure, these reservations get lifted. So anyone can sit anywhere when it’s not reserved or occupied.

So if you’lld like take a later or more direct train, perfectly possible, even without seat reservation.