Pass vs normal tickets?

• 20 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am planning for travel in May/June with the following itinerary:
29/05 : Paris - Ams (Pass Day 1)  (80 without)

31/05 : Ams-Freiburg Nightjet (Pass Day 2  + 35 Eur)  (100 without)

2/06 : Freiburg to Interlaken  (without pass 35)

3/06 : Jungfrau trip (Pass Day 3 + 178 Eur)  (238 without)

4/06 : Interlaken to Chur (Pass Day 4)  (52 without)

5/06: Bernina Express to Tirano then Milan (Pass Day 5)  (75 without)

As it stands, I save around 60 euros with the 5 day pass (due to the sale). However, I have not taken into consideration the reservation costs for day 1 and day 4. 
Do you guys think that the 5 day EURail global pass is worth it for me ?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Only you can decide, but don’t forget that one major benefit of the pass is flexibility. I’m guessing some of those prices you’ve found are for restrictive tickets where you have to commit in advance.

Apart from the Thalys from Paris-Amsterdam, and the Nightjet, I don’t see any need to reserve ahead of time for the rest of your trip. So it allows more spontaneity if that’s important/

I’m not sure what you’d be reserving on Interlaken to Chur. No reservation needed. Paris - Amsterdam would be €30 reservation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

3/06 : Jungfrau trip (Pass Day 3 + 178 Eur)  (238 without)

You don't need a travel day for Interlaken to Jungfraujoch because you only get a discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

All the details have already been written I'd say.

You could use your pass on Freiburg - Interlaken day as you don't need it on 03/06 (Jungfrau). I'd recommend not to book Jungfraujoch in advance as if the weather is bad, you won't see anything and lose 178€. Tickets can't sell out.

If Freiburg is not a must, I'd really recommend Basel instead, it is a much more charming city. :)

- Freiburg/Basel - Interlaken : I'd make a few hours stop in Bern and then take the boat between Thun and Interlaken if you've got time

No reservations necessary in Switzerland. I guess you're taking the reservation-free coaches on the Bernina Express.

You could consider a 1st class 5-day Eurail Pass, not that much more expensive.

Edit : Don't know where you've got the 80€ ticket price for Thalys, it is 149€ for that day. As 29/05 is the last day of a holiday weekend, I'd really recommend on buying that seat reservation ASAP. A Eurail Pass is even more worth it ! Though there are only 2nd class seat reservations available, except if you take the 19:25 train out of Paris

Interlaken - Chur : longer but more scenic route (there are engineering works on the "boring" route via Zurich anyway)

- Interlaken Ost - Lucerne 2h  Interlaken-Luzern Express

- Lucerne - Pfäffikon SZ 1h15 Voralpen-Express

- Pfäffikon SZ - Chur 1h

As it is reservation-free, you could suddenly decide to spend a few hours in Lucerne !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

you could suddenly decide to spend a few hours in Lucerne !

A nice place to visit is the Museum of Transportation (Verkehrshaus), which also has a Lindt chocolate shop. The regional train stops just outside of the museum.