Solved

Portugal Station Gates

• 13 May 2024
  • 3 replies

I am traveling in Portugal and cannot bypass the station gates. What can I do? It seems they use a chip detector for local travel cards. Is there anyway to use my Eurail pass to get through the gates and access the train platforms?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 13 May 2024, 23:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately Interrail/Eurail passes don't work on most ticket barriers (notably in the UK or in Portugal). I'm sure developpers wish to improve that in the future.

If you have a reservation for a train that might open the gate. Otherwise you'll have to seek staff (which should be around).

That’s very unfortunate because now I’m not sure what I have paid for…😅 seems like a waste of money. On that note, any advice on the refund eligibility lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That doesn't mean that your pass isn't valid of course! Speak to staff and they'll happily open the gates.

Also note that gates are relatively rare across Europe (fortunately!).

Interrail/Eurail passes are valid on trains of the participating companies aka the large majority of European trains. Sometimes you need to add a seat reservation, please follow the helpful guide here: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Side note 1: Eurail isn't great value in Spain and Portugal as pretty much any train requires a reservation so you don't get the usual flexibility. It can still save you money as last-minute regular tickets are pretty expensive.

Side note 2: passes are 85% refundable but you shouldn't need to do that! Feel free to ask questions and we'll gladly answer.