Solved

problems booking passes online

Userlevel 1
Badge

We are travelling to Europe in August and I am having trouble paying online for my passes. I have called my credit card issuer and they said everything is fine and that I haven’t put through an attempt on their end. I don’t understand. Anyone have similar problems?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 12 June 2023, 23:24

View original

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please define "trouble". What error are you seeing when?

If you're trying to do it on a mobile phone, then try on a pc/laptop. The website sometimes behaves a bit funny on a mobile phone.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have tried mobile and laptop many times. I’ve called my credit provider, they don’t even see me attempting to book. The error is payment failed. Try again later. I got a hold of eurail and they told me to do all these things and I did but nothing has worked. Do I have to book reservations from London to Paris, Paris to Germany, Germany to Bruges and Bruges to London? I don’t mind getting the tickets when we get there but the reservations are what is concerning me

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

London - Paris and Lille (or Brussels) - London need to be booked well in advance : Eurostar has a limited quota which can sell out weeks in advance (30€ reservation). Use this website (less fees than eurail.com) :

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Paris - Germany need to be booked in advance too but there’s no quota. Best use eurail.com for a cross-border train (17€). To save money : take a TGV to Strasbourg (limited 10€ fare, then 20€) and then cross the border on a reservation-free regional train : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

Germany - Brussels : avoid Thalys (27€ seat reservation). Take the ICE : reservation optional but recommended →  4.90€ per journey on bahn.com

Domestic Belgian trains cannot be booked.

Btw the pass is your ticket and on top of same trains you need to add seat reservations (mainly high-speed trains).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks, the more details you give, the more the community may be able to help. You could also try an incognito browser window. If that doesn't work either, maybe another card? It sounds as if Eurail and your card provider don't like each other somehow.

If you arrive in London, I'm not sure at all whether you can buy Eurail passes there.

London to Paris: https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Paris-Germany is vague. Where in Germany? Likewise Germany to Bruges.

Bruges to London will be via Lille or Brussels, so book Lille/Brussels to London via the page above.

General booking advice:

and:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh wow. This is so confusing. We’re from Canada and I have no idea about this and it is confusing to me. We are going to rosenhiem Germany. Where do I purchase tickets? Do I need to book multiple trains? There are 5 in my family travelling. Is it best not to book the 5 day pass or do? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Either you book regular advance tickets or a pass (+ seat reservations when required). The pass is your ticket and you can board any train in Europe you’d like (full flexibility). However on high-speed trains seat reservations need to be added, restricting a bit the flexibility as you need to plan in advance.

The Eurostar between London and Europe is a bottleneck : on one hand train tickets are very expensive and on the other hand Interrail/Eurail passholder seats are limited. As long as you book in advance, it’ll be fine.

The pass will be good value, esp. if there are under 11 y.o. children in your family as they travel for free (they still need to pay seat reservations though). From your journey you might only need 4 pass days (but you can buy a 5-day pass and use the extra day for a day trip for example).

To summarize :

• Eurostar London - Paris : 30€ seat reservation. Quota so book well in advance, use the link provided to save booking fees
  • TGV/ICE Paris - Stuttgart : 17€ seat reservation. You could save money by taking a TGV to Strasbourg (10€) and then a regional train across the border. It takes about an hour longer.
  • Stuttgart - Munich : 9.80€ for the whole family on bahn.com (optional but recommended)
  • Munich - Rosenheim : regional train, reservation not possible. Simply hop on.
  • Rosenheim - Brussels : 9.80€ for the whole journey, see above
  • Brussels - Bruges : seat reservation not possible. Hop on.
  • Bruges - Lille or Brussels : same as above, hop on.
  • Lilles or Brussels - London : 30€ seat reservation (quota)
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A good example between Paris and Rosenheim (margin for delays) :

• ICE Paris-Est - Stuttgart Hbf 10:55 - 14:05
  • ICE Stuttgart Hbf - München Hbf 14:14 - 16:26 (or 14:51 - 16:56)
  • RB München Hbf - Rosenheim 16:43 - 17:26 (or another one, 5-6 trains an hour)

A good schedule example to Bruges :

• IC Rosenheim - Frankfurt (Main) Hbf 09:02 - 13:40
  • ICE Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Bruxelles-Midi 14:26 - 17:35
  • IC Bruxelles-Midi - Brugge 17:53 - 18:51
Userlevel 1
Badge

You guys are so helpful, thank you. I think I’m getting it now. I have to pay for the passes first before I can do any of this though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome !

You don't really have to buy the passes first (but you'll have to at some point anyway). As long as you make reservations elsewhere, they won't necessarily ask for your pass number. If you make a single booking for everyone, you'll be seated together.

On b-europe (Eurostar) : you can get a Pass Cover Number as explained here or simply enter I11111111 (the number doesn't appear anywhere on the ticket)

The only thing that is best booked on eurail.com is the TGV/ICE into Germany. If you want to avoid the 5 x 2€ booking fee, you can call SNCF. :)

For example on bahn.com : buying a seat reservation is the same process whether you have a regular ticket or pass (as both do not include reservations). There's a seating map too !

Do not hesitate for further questions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If I buy the the global passes on eurail.com for 5 days for everyone, I can use all these other websites to book the different trains without a ticket number? Eurail won’t let me go any further to plan my trip without having a number 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes exactly. On eurail.com : you need to have booked a pass to see availability + book seat reservations.

On all other websites : no number needed or enter I11111111 on b-europe (Eurostar)

Btw don't worry, there is no quota for passholders on European trains. As long as you can buy regular tickets, there are seats available. Exception : Eurostar.

Trains in Germany and many other countries have optional reservations so you're always allowed to board. However for a group of 5 it's better to book seats in advance to ensure that you sit together all the way ! :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

BTW, what is SNCF? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

BTW, what is SNCF? 

French national railways.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Btw don't worry, there is no quota for passholders on European trains. As long as you can buy regular tickets, there are seats available. Exception : Eurostar.

There is also a quota for passholders on Thalys. 

@rvdborgt @seewulf Are there any more trains with passholder quota?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are there any more trains with passholder quota?

Eurostar, Thalys, TGV Brussels-France, EC Switzerland-Italy

Edit: pass holder quota has been removed from TGV Paris-Milan and TGV France-Germany

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes sure but not on their route, I should have been more precise.

Not sure about EC Switzerland - Italy though because I've always been able to book a seat, even if there only were a few tickets remaining (or the quota is very large). Maybe it did change

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry, what is TVG? Is there certain stations we have to leave from to get to another country? ei. London to Paris, Paris to Rosenheim? What about the ferry from Dover to Calais? Is that a good option?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sorry, what is TVG?

TGV: French high speed train

Is there certain stations we have to leave from to get to another country? ei. London to Paris, Paris to Rosenheim?

Just use www.bahn.com to find timetables.

What about the ferry from Dover to Calais? Is that a good option?

I'd only use that if you can't get a Eurostar reservation. It takes a lot of time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Betty Jenkins Green Have you managed to buy the Eurail passes. If not, do you have  AdBlock enabled? In that case disable AdBlock. Disabling AdBlock has solved this problem for others.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@AnnaB i have not and that is the frustration right now. How do you disable Adblock?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@rvdborgt thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@AnnaB i have not and that is the frustration right now. How do you disable Adblock?

What browser do you use? So you have an Ad Blocker? (like uBlock, AdBlockPlus, AdBlock,..)

If you have an Ad blocker, there should be a little icon on you browser screen (Upper right in windows, probably upper left in Safari). Click on it, and you should be able to disable it easily for the Interrail/Eurail website.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@AnnaB i am using google chrome because somewhere it said to use it instead of safari. I have disabled pop ups and intrusive ads. Maybe I will try safari and see if it goes through there before I cry

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@AnnaB i am using google chrome because somewhere it said to use it instead of safari. I have disabled pop ups and intrusive ads. Maybe I will try safari and see if it goes through there before I cry

Make sure to enable pop ups and ads in your browser, when booking your passes. Often it gives issues when paying stuff. Or try even another browsers, like Firefox

Userlevel 1
Badge

I went to safari, I used the payment with blockers on and off and this is always what it says. Isn’t there just a phone number to call and order them? I’ve looked everywhere.