Solved

QR code disappears?

• 16 February 2024
  • 5 replies

My teen is traveling solo on a global flex pass.  When they add a journey to the pass, it generates a QR code. But then it disappears.  They have to keep adding the same journey to get a new QR code.  They are currently on a train in Switzerland, on their way to France, and the QR code has disappeared mid-journey.  They have had to re-add the journey 3 times today. It’s on an apple phone, if that matters. Do you know what the problem is or any fix? Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 16 February 2024, 15:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need a good internet connection to:

1. activate a travel day
  2. show the QR code for the first time (tap on "Show ticket”)

If you don't have an internet connection or not a good one, then these actions won't work properly. I usually do that at the station before boarding the train, or in Switzerland (where I don't have data roaming), where I have a good wifi connection.

Additionally, where exactly do they need to add the journey again? To My Trip or to the pass (by sliding the switch in My Trip)?

Also check if there are any app updates.

Finally, it may help to restart the phone.

If that doesn't help, then contact customer support (your teen, not you) here:
https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

See this article for the information to include:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/articles/4571649483165-Information-required-when-contacting-us

They just downloaded the app less than a week ago, so I think it’s updated, but I will have them check. 

They are on a train with wifi.

After texting with them, they have found out that they don’t need to add the journey again.

They just need to slide the toggle to general a new copy of the QR code that keeps disappearing.

They are concerned that they will be somewhere with a bad connection and not be able to regenerate the code.  They would prefer not to keep losing the QR code and then regenerating it.

Hopefully, a screenshot of the code will work for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A screenshot is not a valid ticket. Some ticket inspectors may accept it but others won't.

Wifi on a train may not be the best connection. If the issue is like you describe, then a bad internet connection when activating the travel day and/or generating the QR code is the likely cause.

It is important both to activate a travel day and to generate the QR code BEFORE boarding the first train of the day. Not only to have a better internet connection but also, if you use a flexipass (X days in 1 or 2 months), to be able to show that you did activate before boarding. Activating a travel day on a flexipass leaves a timestamp on the ticket (below the QR code) and some ticket inspectors will check that.

It is important both to activate a travel day and to generate the QR code BEFORE boarding the first train of the day. Not only to have a better internet connection but also, if you use a flexipass (X days in 1 or 2 months), to be able to show that you did activate before boarding. Activating a travel day on a flexipass leaves a timestamp on the ticket (below the QR code) and some ticket inspectors will check that.

They did activate the travel day and generate the QR code 2 times today before boarding, and  (so far) one time after boarding, but it keeps disappearing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

They did activate the travel day and generate the QR code 2 times today before boarding, and  (so far) one time after boarding, but it keeps disappearing.

Have they already restarted the phone since the problem started to appear? If not, please try that.

If that doesn't help, then please have them contact customer support like I wrote above.