Skip to main content

Hi guys,

I am traveling for my outbound journey from Berlin and I need to arrive on that same day in Nantes (France). However, to do so, I need to stop by Paris to take a last train (Paris to Nantes). Will my pass work or will it stop as soon as I arrive to Paris from Cologne, as France is my country of residence?

Many thanks!!!

You can travel on a maximum of 2 travel days in your country of residence. During these 2 days you can board as many trains as you like. 

On 2 of your pass days you can take as many trains as you’d like in your country of residence.

Totally possible to do your journey. But please note that Thalys trains have a limited quota for passholders and it can sell out weeks in advance (32€ seat reservation).

You can get free TGV seat reservations as you’re a French resident by going to any SNCF ticket counter and asking for a billet parcours d’approche.

I’d suggest this route via Strasbourg : a bit longer but cheaper and without the annoying Paris transfer.

• ICE Berlin Hbf - Frankfurt (Main) Hbf 09:04 - 12:59
  • ICE Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Karlsruhe Hbf 13:20 14:50
  • margin for the often delayed ICE
  • RE Karlsruhe Hbf - Appenweier 15:07 - 15:51
  • RB Appenweier - Strasbourg 16:11 - 16:36
  • TGV Strasbourg - Nantes 17:01 - 22:19 free

4.90€ for Berlin - Karlsruhe (optional but recomemnded) and that’s it :)

Hi @thibcabe, I’m slightly confused. What is ‘billet parcours d’approche’? I’ve checked the Strasbourg-Nantes train, thanks for mentioning it, but it’s 22E for a seat reservation. Same as Paris-Nantes. Why did you write it was free? 

Also do you recommend taking seat reservations for the ICE trains?

SNCF offers free TGV seat reservations for Interrail users living in France. However they do not advertise it... To benefit from this offer (and not pay 10-20€ per TGV) you need to go to a SNCF ticket counter and ask for a billet parcours d'approche. Not all staff are aware of this rule but you should be able to obtain them. Let us know.

I would recommend a seat on ICE trains yes, especially for long journeys. Do not make them through interrail.eu though, way too expensive !

- 3€ per train through tickets.oebb.at

- 4.90€ per journey on bahn.com

You can also check occupation on bahn.com and use the seating map. However if you're alone and travelling during the week, it shouldn't be a problem to find an empty seat (usually at the train ends).

Hi @thibcabe, I’m slightly confused. What is ‘billet parcours d’approche’? I’ve checked the Strasbourg-Nantes train, thanks for mentioning it, but it’s 22E for a seat reservation. Same as Paris-Nantes. Why did you write it was free? 

Also do you recommend taking seat reservations for the ICE trains?

Les billet “parcours d’approche” sont un peu cachés et seulement disponible aux guichets SNCF.

Il faut que tu demandes le billet parcours d’approche aux guichets de SNCF, online ce n’est pas possible.