Solved

Rail pass number when trying to reserve a seat on an Italian train

• 8 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I have tried entering my rail pass number numerous times without success and can’t get past that step to book / reserve a seat on a train from Florence to Torino. Any advice? I’ve tried multiples of combinations or other numbers that they might accept…super frustrating! 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 8 October 2023, 15:57

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are you using the third party ItaliaRail ?

It's best to use the website of the Austrian Railways ÖBB (don't ask me why but it works!) : no booking fee, no pass number required. Go to tickets.oebb.at : add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

A direct Frecciarossa between Florence and Turin costs 13€.

If that doesn't work what is your travel date ? Bookings past 10th December just opened and it may be too early to book a passholder reservation.

Thanks, I’ll try that. Doesn’t seem to make much sense but then there’s lots of things with some of the booking online in Europe that doesn’t make sense! 😁

Well I got a reservation but it wasn’t through OEBB, it redirects you to Trainline and although I’ve solved my dilemma, I feel like I just bought a ticket when I shouldn’t have had to…that’s why I have the Eurail pass…which it wouldn’t recognize when it asked for a rail card / rail pass….again, frustrating but I’ve got a seat now in any case 🫤

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes Trainline only offers tickets. At least you save the pass day for something else.

ÖBB should not redirect you to Trainline, it is a company on its own. tickets.oebb.at is the one and only website to use. You need to add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets as explained above.

Be aware that Trainline (a third party website) will not inform you in case of disruptions and will try to deny all forms of compensation but hopefully it won't be necessary.

But if you're able to cancel the Trainline ticket (without extra fees, otherwise don't do it) let me know and mention your travel date, I can have a look if something is wrong with ÖBB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Agree. 

Cancel the Trainline booking if you’re allowed to to it without any cost.

You can book reservations on the Frecciarossa trains via the ÖBB site for €13.