Rail passes for Baltic countries

• 25 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Is it worth buying a rail pass if I’m about to spend a couple of weeks in the Baltic countries? I’m starting in London, taking 4 days to go to Köln - Berlin - Warsaw - Bialystok before getting a coach to Vilnius. Could I use a rail pass to travel between Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia? It seems like the best idea would be to pay for individual trips for each step of my journey, rather than pay a few hundred dollars for a pass when I might not use it in the Baltic countries? Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Trains are not expensive in the Baltic countries. Have a look at their websites and do the math.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your idea is right-a pass just for there would be a waste of money-though there are also passes as 1country (but check, I am not sure if these even exist for the 3). PLus that there are NO trains between these countries as for now-check seat61.com for what there is and best way to organise.

Check in 2 steps what L->Bial would cost, split somewhere in DE where you plan a longer stopover anyway. IF you would like to discover more of PL-they do very cheap passes locally-for either PKP=IC trains (midweek) or POlregio (most local trains, 3 days in 1 month or weekends).

Bial has very few good connections direct-in fact the best is to start from Warszawa (where youll find that many such buses even come from DE=germany). Plus that Bial has really nothing to offer a normal visitor. The point for those who insist on doing it on rails is Suwalki, some 100 km north of it