[Rail Planner App] Feature Requests

• 14 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello TravelLovers

The mobile app improved its functionality over the last years. But still there would be many nice features left to implement. Lets collect them here.

• I would love if there is a feature to meet travellers currently on the same train. If you add a train to your diary it should show to others that there are interrailers to meet (for sure only if you activate that you want to meet)
  • allow several vias than just only one
  • store the minimal train change time instead of forgetting it after each query
  • provide gps coordinates of stations in timetable (to click on it and open with favourite map (offline?) application)

I am curious to hear from your ideas for the app to add them to the list. And lets hope the App team also uses this forum and keeps us updated.

Benjamin

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Benjamin.  

I think it would be very useful for beginners to show in the app the location of every train station included in the eurail pass (global or inter) 

I think it would make them feel more secure where to go in case they are alone travelers. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Benjamin.  

I think it would be very useful for beginners to show in the app the location of every train station included in the eurail pass (global or inter) 

I think it would make them feel more secure where to go in case they are alone travelers. 

I agree that this feature could be useful. But I wouldn’t integrate an map/navigation feature into the Rail Planner, but provide GPS coordinates instead, to use your favourite third party app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

A map with all the train stations? I think that would be a bit too much, since there are about 40k train stations in the Eurail network if I remember correctly. Some kind of an integrated map would be useful though, but I'm not sure about its currect status.

Great suggestions, Benjamin! I reckon especially storing your settings would be very useful. For two via's I just use a workaround and split the journey in two. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
  • I would love if there is a feature to meet travellers currently on the same train. If you add a train to your diary it should show to others that there are interrailers to meet (for sure only if you activate that you want to meet)

This is a particularly good idea given that people who buy the mobile pass no longer receive the Interrail wristband designed for that very purpose! And powering it with train info rather than GPS location should avoid any safety concerns.

A suggestion I have is for the app to allow you set a maximum budget for reservation fees on each journey query entered. Sometimes there’s a good balance to be had between, on the one hand, spending €30+ on a 100% HST journey, and on the other hand, spending all day (and maybe some of the next!) trundling along on a string of Regionals punctuated by long station changes. I know you can filter by train type, but I think for most people, filtering by price (overall, not per-train) would be more useful.