Solved

Register on pass on two devices

• 28 September 2022
  • 6 replies

I would like to tie my pass to both my mobile phone and my tablet. The overview is better on the tablet so I´d like to use that for planning but the mobile is better for registering actual trips and has always internet connectivity (tablet can work on wifi).

As I try to register my pass on the mobile phone I get a question if I was to disassociate my pass with other devices, when I press no I do not get the option to associate the pass.

Any help on how to would be welcome. 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 28 September 2022, 17:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can not use one pass on two devices. To switch from one device to the other it is currently only possible via customer service via this form:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can also use the website and plan times etc on there but the “Trip” you create is not linked to your mobile App. It is not classed as a second device because you cannot use it to create a ticket.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/interrail-timetable#/login

Note it is not even matched to the mobile planner, but is a place to start. Also you can use any other planning website to cross check the various journeys and alternatives. (Trainline, Rail Europe, OEBB and Dbahn are good alternatives)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can also use the website and plan times etc

I'd strongly advise against using the Interrail/Eurail website to plan. Although the website is slightly less unreliable than the app, it's not nearly as up to date and accurate as any of the other planners mentioned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can use the app for planning on the second device, just not have the pass loaded on both, rather obviously this would be a risk for people to use one pass for two people.

It should also be made clear that the interrail app is not the best tool for planning, it is not current or accurate enough to rely on. You should use websites of local operators and the major operators that have updated planners for most of Europe such as bahn.com and oebb.at

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Thanks all for valuable input!

On the changing of pass tied to a new device...that has clearly been updated to an easier process...I was able to do so myself from the phone. Just got a question if I wanted to dis-associate the pass from another device...very simple🙂