Solved

Removing part of a journey

• 11 January 2024
  • 9 replies

I have added a journey to My Trips that comrises 3 trains in one day: Perpignan to Lyon Part Dieu (with the Spanish, AVE service), Lyon PD to Lille Europe (TGV), Lille Europe to London (Eurostar) (all on the same day). I have booked a paid for reservations for the last 2 sections, but found that it’s difficult to book the first one (it’s with AVE Renfe). I don’t want to delete the whole journey because of the 2 bookings I’ve paid for. I found an alternative to the first section, using TGV which is easy to book. Can I add that (Perpignan to Lyon with TGV) to My Trip and use that instead of the Perpignan to Lyon AVE? If I don’t use the Perpignan to Lyon AVE, will the next 2 sections in that ‘journey’ be invalid even though I have the reservations?

This is my first Eurail experience. I have a lot to learn!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 11 January 2024, 12:27

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can delete the journey and add the trains back one-by-one. It doesn’t affect your reservations at all - they’re completely separate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sure, you can add/delete journeys at any point and it isn’t in any way tied to the reservations you have. You’ll need to show both the app (QR code, your ticket) and the PDF (seat reservation) whenever asked. The only important thing is that you must log the train prior to boarding.

I always add one train at a time right before boarding it. :)

EDIT : what would be your travel date ? I briefly checked and a regular ticket for the Perpignan - Lyon AVE only costs 15€ (or 20€ in 1st class) on some days → might be good value, especially if it’s saving a lot of time!

Many thanks. I see now that each of those 3 trains in that journey has a delete option next to it when I swipe left. When I saw that delete before I thought it would delete all 3.

When you (thibcabe) say “I always add one train at a time right before boarding” is that adding it from My Trip to My Pass somehow? Currently, in MyTrip, it says it’s connected to a mobile Pass see image). I think I followed the instructions to do that when I made the journey (can’t remember now!). If I select Edit when I press the journey, the Connect a Pass to this trip is on (image 2). I’ve not activated my Pass yet. Should I not have done that yet? Is it OK to leave it like this for now? I think I saw that when you activate your pass, you get a slider button to send it to My Pass.

We’re travelling from Perpignan to Lyon on Feb 29th. Thanks for checking the price. I’ll have a look. Just paying the straight fee would save a lot of bother!

Sorry, forgot to attach the images (the 2nd image has loaded first). The Copy of Portugal Trip is for my husband.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can connect a pass to a trip in advance if you wish but it’s better to not activate it (see below).

What I do is : I search for possible connections on Planner (although I use other more reliable apps like DB Navigator for actual planning), the train is thus under My Trip and I flick the yellow switch right before boarding → only possible once the pass has been activated, don’t do that in advance. It’s better not to activate it in advance as once the validity period or a pass day starts, you cannot cancel it (fortunately there are reminders on the app now). Better to wait until you’re sure you’ll take a train that day : you could be ill, there could be cancellations, strikes, etc. (hopefully nothing like that will happen of course!).

I know some people add multiple trains on My Trip and only flick the switch on the one they’re taking (for example there’s a train every 10 min and you don’t know which one you’ll take in advance).

I checked for 29th February and it looks like there’s some sale until 14th January : 15€ for a 2nd class (Basico) or 20€ for a 1st class (Elige) regular ticket. Good value for sure! Buy on https://www.renfe.com/es/en

Thanks a lot, yes I just looked and found that 15E ticket. 

I can’t remember at what stage I added that 3-train journey to My Pass, I think I saw an option to add it and thought I should do that. I guess it’s OK since I’ve not activated the pass yet. I’ll see what My Pass looks like then. At the moment, it says Step 2/3: Trip connect, Next: Activate Pass.

I’ll go ahead and click delete next to the Perpignan to Lyon train in that journey in My Trips and hope the other 2 trains in that journey stay there!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Looks like you’re all good. I couldn’t remember the exact steps but as long as you’ve not activated the pass it’s fine.

You’re welcome. Feel free to travel in 1st class, usually the price difference is much bigger hehe!

Enjoy the trip! Further questions are always welcome.

OK, you asked for it! One more question! If I buy that Renfe ticket online while I’m here in the UK, will I be able to print it out, or do I have to go to a Spanish rail station, and if that latter, is that reliable? Thanks!

Update: I just called Renfe and she said I could print it at home. Also said I can book RENFE trains with Eurail once I’m in Spain two weeks ahead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes they'll be sent by email and you'll be able to print them.

Reservations are indeed available at Spanish counters so you could make them there (10€ + little booking fee at counters). The train is unlikely to be sold out on a February weekday. However to save only 5€ you might need to queue for a while, not sure if it's worth it.

(Hopefully RENFE slowly improves the passholder experience by making all trains available online, including the popular international ones...)